Alcohol measurement

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fatnhappy

Reaction score
I, I made a nice KBS clone. I measured the starting and final gravity and it is 6.3 percent ( a little low for KBS I know). I added a cup of bourbon and oak chunks to it when it went into the secondary. How do I measure what alcohol percent of the beer now?

If you check with a hydrometer you will get the correct FG but you won't have a true OG. So, you cannot measure it at this point without lab equipment.

But you CAN calculate it:

Volume of beer X alcohol % + Volume of bourbon X alcohol % and the divide by the new total volume.

Hi, I made a KBS clone. Took the starting and final gravity and it's 6.3 percent ( a little low for KBS I know). When I put it in the secondary, I added 1 cup of bourbon and oak chunks. How do I calculate how much alcohol the bourbon added to the beer?

If you check with a hydrometer you will get the correct FG but you won't have a true OG. So, you cannot measure it at this point without lab equipment.

But you CAN calculate it:

Volume of beer X alcohol % + Volume of bourbon X alcohol % and the divide by the new total volume.

fatnhappy said:
Hi, I made a KBS clone. Took the starting and final gravity and it's 6.3 percent ( a little low for KBS I know). When I put it in the secondary, I added 1 cup of bourbon and oak chunks. How do I calculate how much alcohol the bourbon added to the beer?

We gave you the formula! If you are confused, just ask. (There are some old threads too, so be sure to search).

OK - let's say your bourbon is 100 proof (50%). 1 gallon is 16 cups.

So for a 5 gal batch: ((80 x 6.3) + (1 x 50)) / 81 = 6.84%

Back