Tasted first beer @ bottling...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

New Brew

Reaction score
...and I'm not sure how to feel about it. How much sweetness can I expect to taste from the unfermented priming sugar?

This was a hefeweizen kit from AHS, all extract + steeping grains, fermented w/ Wyeast 3068. It sat in primary for 2 weeks, and I bottled it last night. I'm happy with it in one respect, as it definitely has the aspects of a traditional hefe.

Problem is, on top of the traditional hefeweizen flavors & aromas there is a definite cidery sweetness. Of course, I didn't taste it before adding the priming sugar. Obviously, adding unfermented glucose to the beer is going to make it taste sweeter than the final product will, but how much?

For those of you who taste their beer at bottling time, does the priming sugar add noticeable sweetness that goes away as the beer carbonates?

Is it time for me to RDWHAHB, or did I manage to make cider despite not using any sugar in the wort?

I don't think the priming sugar would add any noticeable sweetness to the flavor of the beer- since I usually drink the "leftovers" when I bottle and I don't remember any added sweetness in there. What was your o.g. and f.g.?

Remember, "green beer" does have some growing up to do, so maybe this is something that will be really good in three weeks.

Yes, give it time. The taste can change considerably in the next 3+ weeks.
I usually taste one at 2-3 weeks just to get an idea, and unless it's drop-dead great I leave it alone another at least another couple weeks.

I must admit; this being my first brew in a while, I didn't take gravity readings, so I can't help (myself) there.

It certainly didn't taste like it was infected w/ something nasty, so I'll just wait it out and see what it's like over the next few weeks.

mysterio said:
I definately taste the priming sugar when it's added, it's disgusting. Give it time.

Yeah I can just taste some sweetness when I taste right after I prime. The taste is "cloying" and not really pleasant. This doesn't stop me from drinking the dregs however. Hard to tell what the final product is going to taste like at this stage especially with a shot of sugar to it. Best not to form any opinions...

Sure enough, it was a case of RDWHAHB. Cracked a bottle last night (yes, only 4 days after bottling), and it's coming along just fine. Cider note is gone, and it's already surprisingly carbonated, with the nice big white head that a hefeweizen should have. Head retention isn't there yet, and the flavors aren't melded together so it's a bit rough around the edges, but in a week or 2 this will be one nice hefeweizen.

I have enough ingredients to do another batch of this, so I'm glad it came out well.

I brewed a similar kit I only now am I starting to like it and it has been about 6 weeks in the bottle! on the other hand I shipped some to my buddy and he loved it!!

My hefe's are like a slot machine. Some are a jack pot, others are like drinking a cup-o-clove.

There are very few beers (if any) that will give you a good indication of how the final product will taste at bottling time.

Doesn't stop me from drinking the leftovers like Yooper Chick though? :ban:

illnastyimpreza said:
woa only 4 days you really noticed a noticable difference?
I was surprised too, but I couldn't wait any longer with it being my first beer in a long time and not sure it would turn out well. Now that I'm pretty confident that it's going to be good in the end I plan on letting it sit for at least a week since the last sample I tasted.

BTW, what kind of Impreza do you drive? I have a 2002 WRX myself; great car.

BierMuncher: How are you brewing your hefes? AG, PM, extract? I know the AG/PM guys who are really into hefes do some extra steps in the mashing process to get the flavors right. I also got the hint to ferment them at a way lower temperature than most do: 62-65*F. Not having too much experience, I'm not sure how much difference it made in my beer, but I did use the lower fermentation temp and it seemed to work fine.

Back