Whirlpool in Electric Kettle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
have you whirlpooled before? If so, you'd see that all of the junk you're trying to collect in the center of the kettle is in suspension. That is why the rest is needed.

Without doing a rest, you'll be putting just as much in your fermenter if you hadn't whirlpooled at all. Maybe even a little more since without a whirlpool the proteins and hop bits have a chance to settle a little.

+1

Have you whirlpooled before? If so, you'd see that all of the junk you're trying to collect in the center of the kettle is in suspension.

I've whirlpooled. But I've never been able to see how the solids behave during the whirlpool, due to the fact that the wort is too dark (even when the wort is pretty light in color it’s hard to see).

I’ve just seen the result after the whirlpool – but that doesn’t give me much information how the solids behave during the whirlpool.

The solids would be in suspension, like you say. But as long as the solids are centrifuged to the middle (like when you stir a tea cup) it should be fine?

Of course you can’t have the whirlpool going until the whole amount of wort has been drained, you would have to stop the whirlpool before the kettle is empty.

I really appreciated all of your inputs! All these thoughts I have are just that - thoughts and ideas.

/Anton

Back