Group Buy in Chicago #6

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How do we set the cutoff for this current buy?

• Close it on Monday, October 8, 2012 11:59 PM

• Close it when we reach 164 sacks?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Im splitting a couple of sacks with people, and since this is my first group buy, not totally sure how the splitting works....do i need to bring bags or whatever to put the split grain in? Could someone maybe explain the easiest process?

Frank I'll try again its a few blocks from the house, I took the bike out for a putt and ran by there. I'll let you know by Monday if I've d time to run over there.

I'm in tears right now from harvesting and making some nitro hot horseradish. If anyone wants some of my throwaway rhizomes, happy to bring em before I commit them to the trashcan.

I am picking up for your c40 split, I was bringing an empty sack for his 1/3 sack grains, and I'll leave a few extras for those that forget.

Frank I'll try again its a few blocks from the house, I took the bike out for a putt and ran by there. I'll let you know by Monday if I've d time to run over there.

I'm in tears right now from harvesting and making some nitro hot horseradish. If anyone wants some of my throwaway rhizomes, happy to bring em before I commit them to the trashcan.

I am picking up for your c40 split, I was bringing an empty sack for his 1/3 sack grains, and I'll leave a few extras for those that forget.

you make your own horseradish? That's bad@ss!

bmason1623 said:
you make your own horseradish? That's bad@ss!

I'll bring you a couple fresh roots, its easy to make in 20 minutes your eyes are watering and a little on some sausage and crackers and your gasping for air.

Bill, can you pm me the pickup addy? First GB :mug: thanks (you and ghoti) for all the hard work!

Neopol said:
I'll bring you a couple fresh roots, its easy to make in 20 minutes your eyes are watering and a little on some sausage and crackers and your gasping for air.

Sounds good. Be sure to give me instructions too.

heferly said:
Bill, can you pm me the pickup addy? First GB :mug: thanks (you and ghoti) for all the hard work!

To all first timers, I recommend that you be on the look out for the alley behind the address. I learned that the hard way last time

ThirstT said:
To all first timers, I recommend that you be on the look out for the alley behind the address. I learned that the hard way last time

Yes. The alley behind the address.

By the way, the address is on the quote which is in the link of the database.

Neopol said:

Ha! A fellow horseradish fan. I used to buy the roots at the store until I started even getting old roots that really where not that strong. I then started planting my own horseradish and I haven't looked back. I always make sure that I have the windows open when ever I grate.

i appreciate all your hard work haha, don't go crazy for it....i'd hate to be the one responsible for "making" you keep going to Floyds!!! :D

Anybody interested in taking in an extra sack of great western 2-row and pale malt? PM me if you are.

bmason1623 said:
Anybody interested in taking in an extra sack of great western 2-row and pale malt? PM me if you are.

Ok, only the sack of pale is left.

I can't wait to get these grains next week. My kegerator has been dry for a week and I have been drinking PBR to get by. It's been rough.

scotty77 said:
Ha! A fellow horseradish fan. I used to buy the roots at the store until I started even getting old roots that really where not that strong. I then started planting my own horseradish and I haven't looked back. I always make sure that I have the windows open when ever I grate.

I must be a little warped, I grind it indoors and then let it oxidize until my eyes and sinuses can't take it any more, then I know its hot and ready to add the vinegar and stop the enzymatic action.

And the look on the persons face the first time they take a big fork full is priceless.

Fresh is the only way to fly...I replanted about 30 roots next my garlic.

Bill, I'll email you our process its simple. 10 steps or less.
Most important is patience, for the heat 3-5 minutes of oxidation.
Ingredients: HR root, coarse salt, crushed ice, water, vinegar

I must be a little warped, I grind it indoors and then let it oxidize until my eyes and sinuses can't take it any more, then I know its hot and ready to add the vinegar and stop the enzymatic action.

And the look on the persons face the first time they take a big fork full is priceless.

I usualy take my time with the whole grating process if i do it by hand,from time to time I will just use the food processor if I don't have a ton of time. I do notice that when using the processor the horseraddishs heat shelf life is more limited.

scotty77 said:
I usualy take my time with the whole grating process if i do it by hand,from time to time I will just use the food processor if I don't have a ton of time. I do notice that when using the processor the horseraddishs heat shelf life is more limited.

Yes I agree with that, I generally only make 3-4 oz at a time..the heat slowly dissipates over 3-4 weeks. We vac seal the whole roots and keep in the freezer, they stay as good as right out of garden until next harvest.
The food processor with crushed ice, by far makes the hottest as its very fine grind. I have found the more coarse the grind the less surface area to oxidize, the less heat but still great flavor. No matter tho, ten methods to get the same result.

Neopol said:

Sounds good.

Neopol said:
Yes I agree with that, I generally only make 3-4 oz at a time..the heat slowly dissipates over 3-4 weeks. We vac seal the whole roots and keep in the freezer, they stay as good as right out of garden until next harvest.
The food processor with crushed ice, by far makes the hottest as its very fine grind. I have found the more coarse the grind the less surface area to oxidize, the less heat but still great flavor. No matter tho, ten methods to get the same result.

I usually just add vinegar and a little salt. How much ice are you putting into your radish mixture?

scotty77 said:
I usually just add vinegar and a little salt. How much ice are you putting into your radish mixture?

For 3-4 oz, ice depends on the size of processor & water just enough to hit lower blade. It helps to make it smooth and fine, just wet enough to flow so it just doesn't centrifuge and stick to the walls and don't add the vinegar until it gets as hot as you want it.

Ice is really there to add some volume, so the HR nuggets just don't bounce around forever, one of those thanks mom for the advice things.

If your making multiple batches, just drain the excess water into the next batch, or drain off before you add vinegar.

Hi Bill, I'll take the extra sack of pale if it's up for grabs, let me know how much cash to bring? I can come anytime during the week to get the grains, tell me whats good for you? Thanks again for doing all this.
Mike

mikescooling said:
Hi Bill, I'll take the extra sack of pale if it's up for grabs, let me know how much cash to bring? I can come anytime during the week to get the grains, tell me whats good for you? Thanks again for doing all this.
Mike

Check your PMs

I feel like such an arse, I'll be keeping my 2 grain sac order.. Without getting into the details, basically got a 2nd opinion and I just need to do more cardio and lower my blood pressure (hopefully naturally). I'll probably brew a lot less in 2013 but will keep my grain order. Thanks to mike and ghoti for offering to take my grain.

Unfortunately I will be out of town this weekend, but Demon has graciously agreed to pick up my grain for me. Spreadsheet has been updated.

TheBreweryUnderground said:
Bill will the drop shipped stuff make it by tomorrow or should I just plan on coming by Saturday?

I have no a idea so I would plan on the weekend if I were you.

I feel like such an arse, I'll be keeping my 2 grain sac order.. Without getting into the details, basically got a 2nd opinion and I just need to do more cardio and lower my blood pressure (hopefully naturally). I'll probably brew a lot less in 2013 but will keep my grain order. Thanks to mike and ghoti for offering to take my grain.

Think of it this way, the grain has a super long shelf life so you have lots of time, your not going to get a better price and if you are like me, you have friends who want some home brew for party's & family events ect... I just made 7gal for deer camp and I can't even drink.

I see no way that this situation makes you an arse. You were trying to save money on a hobby of yours. Though I don't know you, I'm sorry to hear of your circumstances. One way to turn this into a positive is to alter "what" you brew. It my be the time to brew some barley wines and Imperial stouts. Secondary can take a year anyways. Hopefully you can find your blood pressure's homeostasis in the meantime, and the reward will be the delicious BIG beers that you won't need to drink much of to get an appreciation of it's fine taste and other benefits. Good luck to you idigg.

porterguy said:
one grain order, 100+pages of posts, 1000+posts!

Thanks again, Bill!:mug:

100+ pages? You can change the number of posts per page you know. No need to look through that many pages.

Grain is here but I went out to lunch. I'll be back by 3:30 or so. You can pick up this afternoon and tomorrow. Thursday no pick ups and either Friday or Saturday depending on my schedule. PM or text me if you're coming today.

I will head down this afternoon, I'll shoot for between 4-5, so you FFF beer guys get your orders early.

MiamiWeiss and Brewingmeister, let me know if you want to pickup later this evening or whats best for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back