American Cream Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

addis29

Reaction score
I am new to the game, is there a good reason to secondary ferment this style beer or should I go from primary straight to bottle. If that is the case how long should I condition in primary before bottling. If secondary is useful I can do that just curious.

This is a topic for debate. Many brewers never rack their beer to a secondary, no matter the style. Just as many do. I always rack my beer to a secondary unless I'm brewing a Hefeweizen. For me, I do it mainly so I can feel connected to my beer. Leaving it alone for several weeks is just too hard for me.

I have gone to secondary about 4 times. Most recently, one batch went in so I could let it hang out with some oak. And I have a flanders red that will stay in secondary for about 12 months.

Other than that, I leave it alone. I have not had any issues going straight to keg (or bottle when I was doing that sort of thing) and it is just fine.

Back