Beatles on hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ryan_PA

Reaction score
I make it a daily practice to check on my hop growth progress every day, and this morning I noticed there where about 10 beatles (I think Japanese) on the leaves of my chinook hop plant.

Is there an effective way to keep these bugs away from the plant?

The strange thing is that there were none on my fuggle plant.

(To avoid looking like a bigger idiot, I changed the topic of this post to the proper spelling.)

there are certain organic sprays available...i use a weak compost tea with about a tablespoon of cayenne pepper per gallon. seems to work...either that or we don't have japanese beetles because i haven't seen them. but i started spraying because i noticed holes in some leaves and after i sprayed there were no more.

I came here looking for Paul or Ringo's take on hops, too!:confused:

I have spotted some tiny holes on my leaves, too. What would you use if you have no compost to make a tea? I'd like to have an organic spray that will repell the bugs, but not affect the hop flowers - particularly their flavor.

:off:
olllllo said:
Yoko® will ruin those Beatles
How do you get people to leave your party without having to come right out and tell them it's time to go home? Put Yoko Ono's Greatest Hits on the stereo.

Last edited by a moderator:
It has been a pretty bad year for Japanese beetles for us here (near St. Louis, MO).

The little buggers are all over the beans, roses, and our pawpaw tree.

Fortunately they seem to be leaving the hops alone.... or maybe I need to check a little closer :eek:

Yoko was the fifth Beatle, and the only Japanese one.

Spray your plants with starsan. That's Charlie Talley's advice, but he's the guy who makes starsan.

I was having problems with my leaves getting munched on by something:

4914-P1010131.JPG

I found some stuff at the local Southern States Co-op called "Organica". It's a milky brown colored spray that is organic (so it won't hurt the final product and you won't end up with nasty pesticides in your beer). It's worked so far. It even gets rid of powdery mildew or whatever that white powdery crap is that keeps attaching itself to my vines. I recommend it.

Alternately, you can use Sevin spray. While it's not organic, my mom (she's a lifelong gardener and owns a landscaping & gardening business) says that anything sprayed with Sevin will be safe to consume again after 2 weeks. So, I'd say as long as you're spraying the leaves and not the flower cones, you're fine. But go with Organica or something like it if you can.

take a bunch of cigarette butts, steep them in water for 24 hours, add a drop of liquid soap as a whetting agent and spray away.

Never used on hops specifically, but bugs really hate it.

I'm trying to grow grapes. The Japanese beetles would kill everything if left alone. Went to sevin. Bought concentrate , mixed in small sprayer , works great. They still have to take a bite ,but only one. Stands up to a few rains. If you get on the beetles early you can cut down the numbers for next year as they feed, mate, then drop to the ground and lay their eggs on the spot. I wish these state funded universities would come up with something to eradicate these things in a more natural manner.

SWMBO has been at a constant state of war with
Japanese beetles in her rose garden.
It helps to use those traps - as long as they are
far away from what you are protecting.
Even better - give traps to all of you neighbors.
Also, treat the area with grub killer in the spring.

Sorry, this is a totally superfluos post, and no help at all.....But honestly, thanks to that easy-to-make spelling mistake I got a genuine LOL when I read the comments in this thread.

Sorry once again, thanks once again too...Carry on. :)

Beatles on Hops? Why not, they were on everything else known to man. ;) Maybe those lazy bastids will finally release another new album.

I hate when that happens. It makes me Twist and Shout. I usually hit them with Maxwell's Silver Hammer, or just hope that a Blackbird will eat them. This sort of thing never happens in the Octopus' Garden next door. Help!

Hey now elkdog, just Let It Be. Imagine what it would be like without beetles. People like Eleanor Rigby would miss them. Especially Sargent Pepper, ever since his Hearts Club was Banned.

I'm trying to grow grapes. The Japanese beetles would kill everything if left alone. Went to sevin. Bought concentrate , mixed in small sprayer , works great. They still have to take a bite ,but only one. Stands up to a few rains. If you get on the beetles early you can cut down the numbers for next year as they feed, mate, then drop to the ground and lay their eggs on the spot. I wish these state funded universities would come up with something to eradicate these things in a more natural manner.

This is basically a disease you give the grubs and they will die. The sucky part is that Japanese beetles will fly over from your neighbor's yard to eat your hops too. So this might be something to get the whole community in to
http://homeharvest.com/milkyspore.htm

This year I tried the organic sprays (that I had available) and they didn't work so I'm going with stronger stuff (next step will be sevin). The stupid things eat my hops and leave all the other plants alone gah! Love my EKG and Fuggles the most, some on the cascade, williamette and nugget as well.

I found this nasty little bugger trying to eat my hops one day. Damn beatles. I hit him with a few sprays of Sevin and he hasn't been back since.

hopbtl.jpg

Back