Slight sulfur aroma in all-grain belgian?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve973

Reaction score
Hey People...

We used White Labs WLP530 in our belgian dubbel, and it has been a little over a week since we put the beer into the primary. We've noticed some sulfury aroma coming from the beer. I looked at the Belgian chart from White labs, and the 530 yeast isn't supposed to impart sulfury notes to the beer. The beer has been very constant between 70 and 72 degrees the entire time. For those of you who brew belgians and have used this yeast - does this sound okay to you? And what's going on there?

Thanks,
Steve

Steve,
It could just be the aroma of the yeast doin' it's thang! I know WLPOO1 has a funky aroma from the starter and through fermentation. Always taste clean and good though. I'd just let it ferment out and it'll be fine.
Or, (but I seriously doubt it) it could be getting light struck. Light struck hops give a gassy, sulpher (skunky) aroma and tatse. But I'm sure you don't have it in the light! :~)

We have it in my buddy's basement. There is a little bit of ambient light coming into there, but certainly no sun. It's usually pretty dim down there, and we always need to use the room lights to view it. He just moved into the house, so they aren't down there with the lights on, anyway.

I'm not super worried, but I'm just wondering. Thanks very much for the reply.

I just experienced that smell with a WL Euro Ale in my wheat beer. After about 3 days, the stench was pretty much gone. When I racked last night, it was nonexistent. You're probably fine too. The stench certainly makes you worry, though!

Hehe, yes, I know what you mean. You don't want to drink something that makes you say, "Yes, nicely malty with a finish that's reminiscent of a rotten-egg fart!"

:)

Back