Beer vacation to Belgium

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pivzavod

Reaction score
If you had a week or so and wanted to visit multiple cities / breweries, etc how would you do it?

I just purchased this book and will have it next week.

Did anyone ever do a trip to Belgium where you visited more then just Brussels? I would want to take brewery tours, taste as much Belgian beers as I can.

Last edited by a moderator:
WOW! Wish I could help!.....furthermore.....wish i had that problem!lol.(planning a trip to belgium that is)

We went last year. Stayed in Brussels with day trips to Ghent, Bruges, Antwerp, Bastogne. Road the fast train to Paris, the trip was the highlight, not so much the city. I liked Bruges the best, neat place. Visit the Halve Moon (I think thats right) brewery. If I were to go back, I would rent a car and just do road trips to visit all of the breweries. However, the rail system is the heat there, and very cheap.

Check out this post https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f14/were-go-belgium-cologne-127351/

I went there 6 years ago and put my 2 cents in that thread. Its a great country. Obviously the beer is great but the mussles, waffles, chocolate, crepes and fries were awesome as well. Didn't have 1 bad meal there and that includes chinese food...with a grimbergen as well..lol..+1 to Bruges. Only did a tour of that city but if I ever get a chance to go back I will stay in Bruges.

Don't miss Antwerp. It was my favorite city in Belgium. Highly underrated.

Oh, and imo don't go out of your way to go to Cologne. Second worst city I've been to in Europe...right after Berlin...yuck.

Thanks I was searching the forum with "belgium trip" & "belgium vacation" and didnt find much. Reading your suggestions right now.

I came across your thread on one of my google news alerts. I am an American expat in Belgium for about 10 years now. We bought an old chateau a couple years ago and are just about done renovating it. We are turning it into a B & B for Belgian beer tours and World War II history tours around Belgium, France, and Germany.

I also belong to an expat fraternal club called Belgium STUDS....don't let the name fool you, it stands for spouses trailing under duress successfully. What it means is....basically guys who followed their wives here because of their corporate job.

This usually leads to a bunch of guys with nothing to do....so the solution is to get together often and meet for beer. Quite a club eh? One of the STUDS members is Joe from Missouri, whose wife is with the American Embassy, and has turned into our local beer expert. He recently wrote a book called "Around Brussels in 80 Beers" and maintains a blog at thirstypilgrim.com

So if you need help or info on your planned trip to Belgium, you can get plenty of help from us insiders. If anyone is interested in being a guinea pig for our tour business, I'd love to hear from you....but at any rate, you can get all the conversation you want about Belgian Beer.

I came across your thread on one of my google news alerts. I am an American expat in Belgium for about 10 years now. We bought an old chateau a couple years ago and are just about done renovating it. We are turning it into a B & B for Belgian beer tours and World War II history tours around Belgium, France, and Germany.

I also belong to an expat fraternal club called Belgium STUDS....don't let the name fool you, it stands for spouses trailing under duress successfully. What it means is....basically guys who followed their wives here because of their corporate job.

This usually leads to a bunch of guys with nothing to do....so the solution is to get together often and meet for beer. Quite a club eh? One of the STUDS members is Joe from Missouri, whose wife is with the American Embassy, and has turned into our local beer expert. He recently wrote a book called "Around Brussels in 80 Beers" and maintains a blog at thirstypilgrim.com

So if you need help or info on your planned trip to Belgium, you can get plenty of help from us insiders. If anyone is interested in being a guinea pig for our tour business, I'd love to hear from you....but at any rate, you can get all the conversation you want about Belgian Beer.
Would like to know more about your tour and gain a few suggestion from the STUDS.
A friend & I are planning a beercycling trip to Belgium in May. We plan to stay about 12 days starting in Brussels. We'd want to visit Antwerp, Ghent, Bruges and if time permits the farmhouse brewers near Lille. We are more about beer then cycling but cycling provides more of an adventure. Maybe some of the STUDS would like to tag along. Your thoughts are appreciated.

I sent you an email yesterday but never got a response. I would be interested in more information about your beer tours. If I go I would most likely just go with 1 other person, not a big group.

I lived in Europe 25 years ago and went backpacking in 2006. Belgium you must go Westvletern !!!!! . Brugge is a must. Charle Rockets is a cheap place to stay and close to the center of town.The De Halve Mann Brewery tour is good, also go to t' Burgs Beertje over 300 Belgium beers. If you go to Brussels go to the Delirium Café largest bottle selection in the world, over 2000 bottles of Beer. Antwerp is also a must place to go. Do a lot of research before you go.

Would like to know more about your tour and gain a few suggestion from the STUDS.
A friend & I are planning a beercycling trip to Belgium in May. We plan to stay about 12 days starting in Brussels. We'd want to visit Antwerp, Ghent, Bruges and if time permits the farmhouse brewers near Lille. We are more about beer then cycling but cycling provides more of an adventure. Maybe some of the STUDS would like to tag along. Your thoughts are appreciated.

beer and cycling?..... you should move to Belgium.
Sorry about the delayed response, long weekend away, but send me your email and I'll send you back some info with attachments and pics.

here's [email protected]

Back