1st brew--stomach churns and bubbles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mychalg9

Reaction score
I'm wondering what causes my stomach to get gassy. I've only tried about 3 bottles so far, but every time i can feel the bubbly gas traveling through my intestines. Is it overcarbonated? Am I pouring yeast into my glass? Its a dark RIS so I can't really see any sediment when I pour. Should I let the beer sit for a while? Since it was my first I was impatient and bottled after 8 days and drank first bottle after 14 days of carbonating. ANy ideas? Is this normal?

I have never heard of that happening to anyone...you should get that checked out.

Just kidding, it happens to everyone. Eventually, your system will get used to it. For now, enjoy the yeast farts!!!

+1 on the yeast. Make sure you're pouring carefully and leaving a little bit in the bottle.

It's not that you're pouring yeast into your glass. It's just that you're taking in more yeast than your body is used to. Commercial brews typically filter their beers, diminishing this effect.

No reason to worry, your body will adjust. I had the same problem when I started.

Enjoy the ride.

Edit: You should definitely try to keep the yeast sediment in the bottle by pouring the beer slowly, and catching the sediment in the shoulder of the bottle

"You should definitely try to keep the yeast sediment in the bottle by pouring the beer slowly, and catching the sediment in the shoulder of the bottle"

Good tip. I can't really differentiate the yeast from the beer, it all looks dark to me. I'll use better light next time in hopes of noticing it.

Don't intend to thread hijack, but I am curious, is this a common problem when kegging? Obviously you wouldn't be able to see the sediment before it flows?

If you are new to homebrewing and/or bottle conditioned beers, it's not uncommon to have some GI issues, you may fart a lot, it may take some time til your gut flora gets used to it, then your stomach will settle back down.

Yeast farts are quite common in the beginning, iirc it took me a year to start having yeast farts from homebrew.

After you gut gets used to it you will find out tha the yeast is one of the best things you can injest. It is full of Vitamin B complex. The Belgians practically worship it, for all it's healthful benefits...

brewersyeast.jpg

Unless you have a huge (and rare) allergy to yeast (you wouldn't be able to eat bread then either) you will get acclimated to it.

Don't intend to thread hijack, but I am curious, is this a common problem when kegging? Obviously you wouldn't be able to see the sediment before it flows?

You will still get yeast in suspension, and it will still be a higher concentration than in dead pasteurized mass produced bmc beers.

RIS bottled after 8 days. That's your problem. It would have taken at least 2-3 weeks before it really started dropping clear. You're just drinking a lot of suspended yeast. Once the bottles are fully carbed to your liking, keep them in the fridge for a few days to let it clear.

Back