stainless lids for kegs?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nicksteck

Reaction score
i was all over town today looking for some lids for my kegs, like the ones that sabco sells but everything i found was glass. any ideas

Nick

Take a look at Ikea.com. I have one local and they sell a stainless ring with a glass center that I like and they are cheap too!

i'm looking for 2- 12'' lids, i want a solid top so i can run a fitting through it like the Brutus 10

Go to Academy Sports, Dick's, or some other big sporting goods store. They usually have a cooking section and you can buy tops seperate. Most stockpot lids are 12" from what I found.

Here you go.

319uf0LNHxL._SL500_AA250_.jpg

Amazon.com: 12 1/4" Stainless Steel Lid for 16 Quart Stock Pot (12-0142) Category: Stainless Steel Stock Pots: Home & Garden

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you have a restaurant supply store in your area? It's easy to get stainless lids for commercial pots at restaurant supply houses. Mine has a "used" section that is really nice on the wallet.

thanks for all the replies, i think i found a restaurant supply store about a mile from my shop, going to hit it on the way home monday. I'm going to have my pump drin back in through the lid, is the curved or flat cover better?

Nick

'Better' is hard to define. I have a lid with a slight curve and it happened to work well on one keg but another is still in need of some adjustment with a grinder (left over ridges forming a + on the top). Also, I used a flange gasket (9 in?) from McMaster-Carr in case you are looking for one.

Here's some photos of my setup:

I used a pair of threaded hooks held in place with a small U-bolt. I used scrap wood to make the clamping bar. I had to glue a shorter piece in the middle to clear the side of the keg as my stock pot lid handle didn't stick up quite high enough. I use washers and wing nuts on top of the wood clamp bar.

The flange gasket I used was:
Part number: 8516T23
Buna-N Flange Gasket 8" Pipe Size, 8-5/8" ID, 11" OD
$7.94 per Pack (Sold in Packs of 2)

I went to the local kitchen store and found them. $17 isn't cheap per lid, but I got my two and I have mounted through-the-lid return on one of them.

Last edited by a moderator:
I buy a plastic cutting board from walmart for $10.00 and cut it in a circle and put a handle on it.

Man, wish I saw this thread sooner. I bought mine just a week ago, actually traded 3 in that my daughters bought me for Xmas that were too big, at a restaurant supply store as well. I paid $8 and some change each. They fit perfect. Not as pretty as the more pricey ones but they do the job.

Latest posts

Back