Samuel Adams Boston Ale?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PanzerOfDoom

Reaction score
This is one of my favorite store bought brews. Was wondweing what gives it that wonderful fruity aroma. At first I thought it might be the type of yeast used but am thinking now it is the hops.

Anyone here know the answer to my mystery?

They use Halertauer Mittelfruh in most of their ales. If you are trying to get similar notes, try Liberty or Mt. Hood.

according to thier website they use spalt select, fuggles and east kent goldings in thier boston ale. it has an og of 1.048 with 33 ibu's.

i made a clone using spalt for bittering, then fuggles and east kent for flavor/aroma. The only thing thats lacking is the diacetyl i detect in the original...(next time im gonna use an irish ale yeast, the east coast ale is wicked clean)

Bjorn Borg said:
according to thier website they use spalt select, fuggles and east kent goldings in thier boston ale. it has an og of 1.048 with 33 ibu's.

i made a clone using spalt for bittering, then fuggles and east kent for flavor/aroma. The only thing thats lacking is the diacetyl i detect in the original...(next time im gonna use an irish ale yeast, the east coast ale is wicked clean)

If you are considering WL Irish Ale yeast, it will also give a slight fruity taste. My stout has a fruity taste not found in Guinness. It doesn't taste bad, but I have never noticed a fruity taste in Sam Adams Ale.

Lounge Lizard + said:
If you are considering WL Irish Ale yeast, it will also give a slight fruity taste. My stout has a fruity taste not found in Guinness. It doesn't taste bad, but I have never noticed a fruity taste in Sam Adams Ale.

i wouldnt say fruity, but definitely butterscotch...they say they ferment the boston ale at "lower then normal temps for ales". i fermented mine @ 64, which i guess wasnt low enough for the yeast to struggle and therefore produce diacetyl, so im thinking either ferment at like 60F, or use a yeast that produces more diacetyl (wlp004)

They do use their own yeast. If you go to the Sam Adams brewery tour in Boston they show you their experimental tanks. They taste-test and cultivate yeast there, when they approve a brew its sent to Cincinnati to be produced. They're extremely proud of their yeast strain and the fact that they have made the most alcoholic beers.
Just thought I would throw that in there...

colonel_colon said:
They do use their own yeast. If you go to the Sam Adams brewery tour in Boston they show you their experimental tanks. They taste-test and cultivate yeast there, when they approve a brew its sent to Cincinnati to be produced. They're extremely proud of their yeast strain and the fact that they have made the most alcoholic beers.
Just thought I would throw that in there...

They also send it to Utica, NY. FX Matt Brewery (Saranac) does contract brews for Sam Adams (and New Amsterdam, Brooklyn, and a few others).
The brewery in Boston is more of a test site where they come up with stuff. As you can probably tell, I've been on both brewery tours. :)

Latest posts

Back