Watery Flavor/ Mouthfeel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WalkingStickMan

Reaction score
I just extract-brewed my second batch, a hoppy English bitter, and the mouthfeel, and even flavor, is again slightly more watery than I would like. I was wondering if this is a common complaint of either
a. partial-boil brewing, or
b. extract brewing in general.

If not, is there anything else besides simply adding more malt? Thanks for any help guys! Peace.
John

what was your recipe? what was its OG and FG?

if you add to much water you will get a water downed taste. if you don't get enough attenuation you will get a watery taste.

I had this same problem when I was using malt extract. I attributed it to adding top-up water to the fermenter. My suggestion is to give the batch a few additional weeks of conditioning for the flavors in the beer to blend. This works well for a lot of minor off-flavors.

My irish red (OG 1.36 FG 1.010) had a watery taste and mouthfeel when it was green. Three weeks of bottle conditioning alleviated these issues. How long has your beer aging?

my extract bitter was watery and thin throughout the entire process. now that it's been in the bottle for 4 weeks, it has a great mouthfeel and flavor.

leave it alone, it'll be good beer.

It's been in the bottle for less than a week before I tested it out. Sounds like after about another two or so it should start to improve. I guess time really is a key factor in this beer stuff! Thanks guys! Peace.

John

Once it is carbonated it will have a little more body. Malto dextrin is your friend. You can use it in any recipe. 1/4 pound at a minimum. Use 1/4 to 1/2 pound depending on your preference. Adds body. Most homebrew has a little watery taste so I use malto dextrin a lot. It is simply concentrated malt sugar and is only 12% fermentable so it adds body without any wierd taste because it is malt.

Forrest

It's been in the bottle for less than a week before I tested it out. Sounds like after about another two or so it should start to improve. I guess time really is a key factor in this beer stuff! Thanks guys! Peace.

John

Yeah, green beer can be really nasty. I hate the stuff. To me it is the equivalent of eating bread dough before it is done cooking.

Back