Digital Hydrometer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

baron

Reaction score
Just checking to see if there would be an interest in a Digital Hydrometer
and if so -- what feature(s) would you like to see and what price range would be resonable.

Here's what I am thinking:

-- Digital Display (LCD)
-- Initial design would be for 6.5 Gallon Plastic Container for monitoring primary fermentation
-- Battery Powered
-- Press button to display S.G. or continually display current S.G.
-- Improve basic design as a datalogger also to keep S.G. record of batch and be able to download data to computer for data storage or printout.
-- Also could add a temperature sensor to display ambient temperature of fermentation area.

Advantage of Digital Hydrometer:
-- No beer waste -- since sampling would not be necessary.
-- Accurate S.G. profile of batch either by data storage or manual log sheet
-- Easier to determine when fermentation is complete.

I'd really appreciate any feedback anyone would have on this --

Thanks,

Rick

I'll bite...

Would it have a built in thermometer and scale to provide a true gravity...thinking lagers, and pre-boil measurments.

How much?

I'll bite...

Would it have a built in thermometer and scale to provide a true gravity...thinking lagers, and pre-boil measurments.

How much?

Yep -- that would be fairly easy to calculate a true gravity.

I have no idea of the cost -- just a concept at this point.

It could be less that $50 -- depending on the features or as much as $100 -- but, I'm just guessing right now.

Would it be remote display and left in the ferment until it registers the FG? It has potential. :mug: It could have high/low temp alarm. Perhaps a USB port to download data to a memory stick.

Would it be remote display and left in the ferment until it registers the FG?
Yes

It could have high/low temp alarm.
Prefer Audible or Visual Alarm or both??

Perhaps a USB port to download data to a memory stick.
Yep -- that would work. A USB Port for configuring Alarms -- etc.. and a Memory Stick connected to the USB port during fermentation for data logging.

Yes

Prefer Audible or Visual Alarm or both??

Yep -- that would work. A USB Port for configuring Alarms -- etc.. and a Memory Stick connected to the USB port during fermentation for data logging.

I think the alarm should be selectable. Have a blinking LED or something or an alarm should you want it to pitch yeast or something.
You could even set the FG range and once it hits it then a light blinks.

Sounds promising...

I'm betting a couple different optionable units would be best. Some people Im sure would want a bare bones unit.

Are you looking for enough interest before you start producing these, or do you have anything made already?

Just curious..whats your background and do you have any proof of concept/prototype?

I would probably be down for one. Just a simple one that would display true SG and temp and record that info to a usb would be enough for me.

That sounds great! I'd be down for one as well! Would it be able to integrate with a PC?

Sorry to rain on your parade, but I don't really see how something like this would work unless it's done like a refractometer rather than a hydrometer. With all the rising CO2 bubbles, and the sticky krausen, you're never going to get an accurate SG reading until fermentation is finished and the krausen has dropped and the co2 has pretty much stopped offgassing. And by that point, might as well just take a thief sample.

Unless, of course, you have some sort of ingenious way to deal with those factors...

Sorry to rain on your parade, but I don't really see how something like this would work unless it's done like a refractometer rather than a hydrometer. With all the rising CO2 bubbles, and the sticky krausen, you're never going to get an accurate SG reading until fermentation is finished and the krausen has dropped and the co2 has pretty much stopped offgassing. And by that point, might as well just take a thief sample.

Unless, of course, you have some sort of ingenious way to deal with those factors...

I certainly understand where you are coming from and that can be and will be a major obstacle.

Just wanted to get a feeler out there for comments like yours and any other comments regarding features, willing to pay price...etc..

I work in the process control industry and am a part time homebrewer -- and have an idea of how to do it.

Any additional comments from yourself or anyone else would be appreciated.

But, just from the comments/suggestions so far -- I think I'll design a prototype -- and I'll keep everyone updated on my progress, results, feasabilty, etc..

Thanks,

Rick

If you can overcome the problems Evan! mentions the next step is making it CIP friendly (tolerant to caustic and acid, cleans well). It may have a market beyond the homebrewer.

well...how bout multiple "probes" so i knoy need to use one main unit, but i could monitor all of my fermenters. if i have 4 full fermenters at a time, pending on the price i am not going to buy 4 of these, but one slightly more expensive one with some sort of expansion pack might interest me.

not sure if that makes sense.

well...how bout multiple "probes" so i knoy need to use one main unit, but i could monitor all of my fermenters. if i have 4 full fermenters at a time, pending on the price i am not going to buy 4 of these, but one slightly more expensive one with some sort of expansion pack might interest me.

not sure if that makes sense.

+1

At this point, I would settle for a plastic, triangular hydrometer. I have broken at least 4 of them so far. Two of them because they rolled off of the table or counter.

why re-invent the wheel. Refractometers have worked well for a while now.

Because every time you take a sample you risk infection and waste product. Also, glass hydrometers are so damn easy to break - refractometers aren't accurate after ferment has begun...

Depending on price point and customization options (loving the multiple probes, one main unit idea) - I might be interested.

Because every time you take a sample you risk infection and waste product. Also, glass hydrometers are so damn easy to break - refractometers aren't accurate after ferment has begun...

Depending on price point and customization options (loving the multiple probes, one main unit idea) - I might be interested.

They have a correction and I've never seen a refractometer be off by more than 1.001 after ferment. A hydrometer isn't really that accurate.

elec_hydrometer.jpg

Unlike ordinary bulb hydrometers, which are passive-static devices, this new Digital Electronic Hydrometer utilizes new Hall sensor technology that allows for remote, in situ, continuous infinite resolution, real-time monitoring, measuring, logging and controlling of liquid density/specific gravity in large vats or containers during a mixing or blending operation. The submersible probe head connects, via extention leads, to an electronics module that provides a digital readout of the liquid density in the user's preferred engineering units (sgu, Baume, Brix, % vdc) to a process controller to facilitate meeting a specific target density. Density ranges from .5 to 1.5 sgu are standard and custom ranges are an option.

features
hrule680px.jpg

Measures density in sgu (1 sgu = 1 gm/cc) in range from .5 to 1.5 with accuracy ± .005 sgu.
Can be battery operated for field operation at waste sites, tank farms, out on a lake or deep into the ocean.
Can be operated in situ in a process control operation to monitor and record liquid density during a typical blending or mixing process for the chemical, petroleum, electroplating, or food and beverage industries. As a part of a control system, it can be used to control a mix to meet a target density.
Can be used to determine the concentration mix (by volume or mass) of a blend.
Can be used as a gauge in storage tanks to determine the interface depth between two immiscible liquids such as alcohol and water.
Can be used in a laboratory to monitor and record liquid density during a process controlled temperature or pressure cycle operation.
Remote readout at any desired distance from probe, 4 foot leads standard.
Pressure invariant - can monitor density at any depth in a well or a tank.
Operating temperature range from -40°F to 200°F.
Measures in liquids or slurries
Easy to disassemble for cleaning
Total weight is 5 pounds

I think ive seen that posted here before, if i remember its about 2500 bux

The ones I have found are pricey -- I'm just looking to make an affordable accurate digital hydrometer and targeting the Homebrewer -- because most Homebrewers (like myself) can't spend $2,500 for a Digital Hydrometer.

The electronics aren't really a factor in cost -- they are relatively inexpensive.
Writing code for the microprocessor shouldn't be costly either.

The cost will be in the sensors --

I'd like to sell it for no more than $100 -- I'll keep everyone advised of the cost as I progress.

I hate when people knock you for trying something no matter how unrealistic or challenging it may be. I say if you got the time and money, hells yeah. Give it a try! The worse that happens is you fail and learn something along the way. If you can pull off a stable unit and sell it for under $100, count me in.

I would be interested in a module that could accept a SD memory card to store data logging. Then it could be configured to log data such as temperature and gravity every set amount of time. Visual / Audio indicators would be key as well to check instantaneous measurements as well as potential problems or completion of fermentation.

Alright, I wasn't trying to flame with that and hate probably wasn't the right word. Just trying to show some support.

I would wager if baron can produce a reliable working digital hydrometer for under $100 he will suddenly have more orders for his device than he can handle (many would be resellers I imagine?) ;D

I would like a probe such as this with a 1/2" MPT thread so I could thread it into a conical. This would be great for real time monitoring of lagers and such. Would be a really cool idea!

EDIT: I just mean a simple unit that looks like a brewpot thermometer with 1/2" mpt threads and instead of a dial face has an LCD digital readout of the S.G. That would be ideal for me.

Otherwise a probe with a disconnect would be great to. Thread the probe into a coupler and be able to disconnect the leads (wires) from it for cleaning and moving around.

Well....

If I had the money...I would want a wireless solution so I can be networked with multiple devices at the same time and not have to do the "sneaker net" or run wires from my basement to my office PC.

My biggest suggestion is to make it modular. The probe plugs into a "data collection" unit...this then has and output (USB? RJ45?) that connects to a storage or communication unit (wireless, serial, etc).

If you only have to buy one "data collection" unit and plug multiple probes into it..then you can start with one and expand cheaply.

Just some ideas.

-Will

Just wanted to thank everone , so far, that has contributed ideas and suggestions for the product --

There have been some excellent suggestions in which I will consider.

My main objective is prove the theory that the basic design will work -- if and when this is proven -- there are no limts on adding additional components and concepts to the electronics part of the product.

Thanks again.

Rick

elec_hydrometer.jpg

Unlike ordinary bulb hydrometers, which are passive-static devices, this new Digital Electronic Hydrometer utilizes new Hall sensor technology that allows for remote, in situ, continuous infinite resolution, real-time monitoring, measuring, logging and controlling of liquid density/specific gravity in large vats or containers during a mixing or blending operation.....

So the probe looks like it has a float inside a chamber, but that cant be right. According to this description it will work while "mixing or blending". If there were any sort of turbulence, that would effect a float and give false readings.

I was wondering how this would work during active fermentation, but obviously it is a different method than what I am understanding.

Did anyone watch the HowStuffWorks about beer on the discovery channel recently? They interviewed a home brewer and he used some kind of probe hydrometer with a digital read-out. I want that. I'll see if I can capture a pic of it from the recording tonight.

Did anyone watch the HowStuffWorks about beer on the discovery channel recently? They interviewed a home brewer and he used some kind of probe hydrometer with a digital read-out. I want that. I'll see if I can capture a pic of it from the recording tonight.

they didn't know what they were talking about when they said that he was measuring the gravity with that thing. If you paid attention when they showed a shot of the screen you could see that it was a pH meter.

Stumbled across this. Is it appropriate?

Digital Hydrometer

I haven't seen that one.

I wonder what the SG range is of the device and how accurate it is?

Looks good though.

So the probe looks like it has a float inside a chamber, but that cant be right. According to this description it will work while "mixing or blending". If there were any sort of turbulence, that would effect a float and give false readings.

I was wondering how this would work during active fermentation, but obviously it is a different method than what I am understanding.

My friend uses a meter at work that sucks the liquid through a bent tube and measures the SG off the speed that it takes to go around the bend. Cost about $2k though. Could be something along those lines that just takes a reading every sec or two to update the value.

Back