Yeast Starter for Lager

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lboe12

Reaction score
Hi All, Question for you, i have a Wyeast lager yeast which is one month old. I would like to pitch the correct amount of yeast and am wondering can i do a 2L yeast starter twice? as in prepare the first starter as normal and then rack off the beer from the first and add a second starter wort to the same vessel and then pitch the result to the final beer? Has anyone tried this?

Yes, it's called stepping up and you can do it as many times as needed though I usually start with a 1L. You can do this for any starter, ale or lager. I find the 1L goes quicker so there is less time to turn around repeated wort additions.

Use the calculator at www.yeastcalc.com to figure your steps out. It will ensure you get the correct number of cells. Looks to me like with a one-month old smack pack, if you do a 1 litre step then a 1.25 litre step you will have about the right number of cells (assuming 5.25 gallons of an approximately 1.050 lager).

Sorry, I should have said the numbers I gave you assume a stir plate. If you don't have one then visit the site to make sure it's giving you the right numbers for however you make starters.

Back