A couple Qs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

madhusudan

Reaction score
First off, thanks to all the posters on this site. You have inspired me to try my hand at making cider. So far so good, I think. Fermentation began quickly, though seems to have petered out now at about 10 days in. Bubbles only come about once every 46 seconds.

I'm in exactly the same boat as the OP of this thread: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f32/determining-alcohol-content-w-o-og-206332/

Now that I've come to realize making cider is fun and is something I'll continue, I will go get myself a hydrometer - as I probably should have done upon starting. The posters in the thread above informed me that while I won't be able to find the alcohol content, at least I can use it to find when fermentation is finished.

I wonder if someone would be kind enough, as they did for the OP in the thread above, to let me know an estimated OG and alcohol content for my cider? I used TreeTop "Cider" juice and Wyeast Cider yeast.

Also, I am nervous about the One-Step cleaner I used to sanitize my equipment. It's full of warnings on the label, but states it doesn't require a rinse off. Can someone assure me that this stuff won't poison me upon being ingested? How is it so dangerous, yet doesn't need to be rinsed out?

Finally, I'm just curious if the process of making cider is called "brewing". I ask since there doesn't seem to be any mixing of ingredients to make a "brew"

There was other stuff I wanted to ask, but that's what I can think of for now.

-Thanks-

Did you use any sugar? The juice alone will give you about 6.5%; this assumes a final gravity of 1.000.

I didn't use any sugar. To keep things simple I only used 5 gallons of juice and the yeast.

Thanks for the alcohol estimate. 6.5% sounds about where I like to drink.

Back