Utopias 2009

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I suppose I'm one of the luckiest HBTers out there!

I work at the Sam Adams Boston Brewery (where all Utopias is made, none is made in the OH and PA breweries) so I've had a chance to sample Utopias from different years on multiple occasions and here is my honest opinion:

Utopias is cool because it really pushes the limits of beer. The fact that it's 27.5% ABV (for the 2009 batch) is pretty much astounding. Of course it doesn't taste much like a beer, at BBC we always let people know that it competes in Port and Cognac categories. Also, it's brewed with maple syrup to gain added sugars needed to push the yeast to that point. Also, I saw someone saying they would rather make a clone- that's impossible, BBC has a proprietary yeast for Utopias that you could never buy at any LHBS. $150 is a crazy price for 1 bottle of anything, but Utopias actually sells at-cost. We make $0 profit from Utopias. If you see a bottle marked for under $150 then BUY IT because that's an amazing price. Lots of stores sell it for $180 or more.

As far as taste, it's a really enjoyable malt beverage. It's only meant to be drunk 1-2 oz. at a time and it has an indefinite shelf life because of the high ABV. In fact, it ages reeeally well- I had a taste of the 2005 batch a couple weeks ago and it was awesome. I had some of the 2009 batch last week and it's excellent, slightly different, but sure to improve with age. And the bottle is really cool, it's modeled after our mash tuns at the Boston Brewery (the same copper vessels you see behind Bob & Dean the brewers in our TV commercials). Lastly, if you do get a bottle, you MUST try this- take a cup of clam chowder and top it off with a tiny bit (literally, just a drop) of Utopias. It's ridiculous, clam chowder is great on its own, but with Utopias it's just out of this world.

Also, as for the last comment before this- Triple Bock is crazy, we know. It tastes weird especially if it's been improperly stored. But you should know, every release of Utopias is a blend of different years' batches as well as some Triple Bock aging in our barrel room from 1994 and 1997. Utopias wouldn't be as tasty as it is without a little Triple Bock in there. If you can get a bottle and you can afford it, then get one. There were only about 12,000 bottles released and it is hard to find in a store. Some of our biggest suppliers here in MA asked for upwards of 40 bottles and were granted 3. It's a fun, rare, tasty beer (it IS a beer) and it's worth trying at least once.

P.S. The 2009 batch has been released already, so this is not jumping the gun.

No offense intended on the Triple Bock, but it's just really not up my alley. Hopefully, that doesn't affect my chances in the Patriot Homebrew Competition. :)

I do love that BBC is pushing the limits of brewing, though.

I suppose I'm one of the luckiest HBTers out there!

I work at the Sam Adams Boston Brewery (where all Utopias is made, none is made in the OH and PA breweries) so I've had a chance to sample Utopias from different years on multiple occasions and here is my honest opinion:

etc, etc.

This feels like I'm reading something straight out of a "Sam Adams Sales Manual". I mean no offense by this, but your opinion is somewhat skewed by the fact that you work for BBC. That being said... I've tasted this years and the 2005. As I've said two or three times... I wouldn't spend my money on either. The three other people I tried it with said the same thing. Yes, it's cool that a beer can actually get that high as far as ABV goes...but at a cost like that, is it worth it? No.

This feels like I'm reading something straight out of a "Sam Adams Sales Manual". I mean no offense by this, but your opinion is somewhat skewed by the fact that you work for BBC. That being said... I've tasted this years and the 2005. As I've said two or three times... I wouldn't spend my money on either. The three other people I tried it with said the same thing. Yes, it's cool that a beer can actually get that high as far as ABV goes...but at a cost like that, is it worth it? No.

Fair enough, of course my opinion is skewed because I work for the company. Every beer lover is entitled to his or her own opinion on Utopias. It's much easier to love when you get it for free.

define beer

utopias isnt even carbonated. its malt liquor

Beer- a naturally fermented beverage made of malted barley, hops, water, and yeast.

Malt liquor- another name for beer with a high ABV so it can be sold in all 50 states without interfering with ABV-name state laws.

Fair enough, of course my opinion is skewed because I work for the company. Every beer lover is entitled to his or her own opinion on Utopias. It's much easier to love when you get it for free.

Both times I tried it, it's been free. My buddies boss even offered to give me the rest of the bottle (3/4's full) since he never drinks it. I turned it down. I'm not saying it's not good. I haven't really made my mind up about that. The 2005 was better than this years...but they're both so different from any beer I've ever tried that I don't want to concider it beer. More of a Port.

Well, my local liquor store has one @ $140....do I pull the trigger?

For $140 I would grab it. I just picked up 2 bottles of the 2009 for 170 each and I'm in the local area of the brewery. With that said, I'm definitely partial to liking BBC since I am a local, having visited the brewery several times. I have seen just the empty bottles going for $50+ on ebay in the past.

I also recommend looking up the Barrel Room Collection, brewed at the Boston brewery, for $10 a 750mL bottle. 3 varieties aged on oak for a year. Only available in a few states unfortunately.

To those who say BBC does not make quality beer, you are foolish!

I just saw a bottle sitting right on the counter of a distributor. The price, which brought a hearty sailors laugh......okay, maybe more of a chuckle, from the guy at the counter, was 200. When I asked him if he ever tried it, he said he'd rather spend that kind of money on a bottle of Remy Martin. Maybe not a beer drinker, but I guess this isn't "really" a beer anyway. Either way, he wouldn't pour me out 5 bucks worth, so I'll have to wait till I hit lotto to try it. Or just try brewing the clone recipe in one of my brewing books.

Back