Irish Red Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brad97z

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm just getting started with homebrewing and was looking into brewing an irish red ale. However, some of the store bought irish reds have an overwhelming cedary time flavor that comes across. I assume this is due to the type of yeast that is used (could certain hops impart this flavor?), can anybody recommend a yeast that would minimize this, or give thoughts on the wyeast irish red ale?

I'm going to bet it's the hops. Traditional english hops used in irish reds can impart a hint of grassy flavor. I've never heard it described as cedary, but it may be more vegetal than US hops. Could be that's what your taste buds are picking up. Just skip the flavor addition on your Irish Red (any addition at 30 minutes or fewer before the end of the boil); up the 60 min addition to compensate for the loss in bitterness, and it will be good. Also, if you don't want yeast flavors, go with WLP001 and ferment cool. I personally like the yeast flavor for irish ale yeasts, but it can be avoided with a different yeast.

Back