Brewing Green

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Parker36

Reaction score
So with the whole "Green Revolution" thing going on, how is everybody altering the way they brew (if any) to do you part? Simple things that come to mind immediately are using spent grains (bread, cookies, doggies treats), recirculating immersion/CFC water, and harvesting/washing yeast. I know there are some innovators out there, what do you got?

I've been putting my spent grains in a compost. But I think I'll try the dog treats next time.
One thing I do, for example, is soak bottles in oxyclean before I sanitize. After I bottle I dump the oxyclean in the dirty carboy and let it soak over night. It saves water, time, and money.

Ugh...that's been something I've been contemplating since I started brewing...not having a yard or anything, I can't compost my grain...and I try to get a couple uses of any water I use (like bottle washin or rinsing) but outside of that, there's little I do...and I feel kinda guilty...but at least I've reused and recycled several hundred brown glass bottles...

oh and re-using yeast...

I like the oxyclean trick of McNasty.

Have you heard this basic brewing podcast on the topic?

May 29, 2008 - Brewing Green
James and Steve read letters from listeners with tips on how to brew greener and cheaper.

http://media.libsyn.com/media/basicbrewing/bbr05-29-08green.mp3

Composting spent grain & hops, getting multiple uses out of whatever water I use (initial hot water from the IC can be used as cleaning water, for example). I think the DIY mentality of many homebrewers lends itself perfectly to a green lifestyle in a sense. Recycling bottles, cannibalizing scrap metal, etc.

The October issue of BYO also had an article on brewing green, if I'm not mistaken.

I now do my boil over a pile of burning tires. That way I can get rid of the tires and brew at the same time.

Seriously though, whenever I drink my homebrew, I make sure to pee in this big bucket, then I filter that and use it as my brew liquor for my next batch.

No really, I go and club baby seals, then use their blubber layer for insulating my MLT. It works great.

I now do my boil over a pile of burning tires. That way I can get rid of the tires and brew at the same time.

Seriously though, whenever I drink my homebrew, I make sure to pee in this big bucket, then I filter that and use it as my brew liquor for my next batch.

No really, I go and club baby seals, then use their blubber layer for insulating my MLT. It works great.

You beat me to it! Poor mother earth is crying when all these fermenters spew out Co2 :D

All brewers that brew green should be glad that they make:
.000000000000000000000000000000000001% of a difference :drunk:

You beat me to it! Poor mother earth is crying when all these fermenters spew out Co2 :D

All brewers that brew green should be glad that they make:
.000000000000000000000000000000000001% of a difference :drunk:

Jeez, if you don't want to do it, then don't, but there is no reason to be a dick. The fact is, yes only one person using these methods will not make a difference, but when you get a lot of people all trying to help out, there are observable results. Simple little things like conserving water add up quickly

gore_firegloablawarminghoax.jpg

Must...resist...being...for cereal...

buying things in bulk when possible cuts down a lot on packaging.

Also, planning ahead helps too. The least amount of trips to the LHBS possible, less shipping etc. I actually have given up my love of going to the LHBS.:( My wife works close by to it, so I have her stop in and pick up orders for me.

Also, although I don't use my pee as hot liquor.....I feel that the more one drinks, the more one pees, the more water we are putting back into the ecosystem? Okay....maybe not....but it works for me!!!

My favorite brew-pub in town gets thier spent grains picked up by a farmer who feeds it to his pigs! Now that is some pork belly that I would like to try!!!

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm.........pee as hot liquor..........would that count as a decocktion?

Must...resist...being...for cereal...

Dude, if you want to ignore all the evidence and environmental scientists just because you don't like Al Gore or whatever, fine, but now you are just trolling.

The goal is not to stop doing what we love to do, just to be more responsible. Does brewing use up fossil fuels during the boil? Yes. Does the yeast give of CO2? Yes. But that does not mean we can take little steps to help not only the environment, but also our wallets.

Sorry, I wasn't meaning to be a dick, I just think clubbing baby seal jokes are funny.

Seriously though, I am on a well and all my water gets recycled through my system. So I do potentially brew with purified pee water (not really though).

I am washing yeast for the first time on my current batch, so that is good.

BK: I'm pretty sure that was directed to me.

Parker: Sorry if i got a little jumpy there. I assure you that i do not ignore the evidence of Global Climate Change. What i do tend to disagree with is how much of an impact we make--but that's not what this is about.

So on that note, I do advocate being "efficient" in brewing bi-products such as using spent grain for compost and/or bread, saving chiller water for cleaning, washing yeast, etc.

Here, have one on me :mug:

Right now i'm working on a solar powered fermentation chamber that way I don't use any extra power just to keep my carboys at 68F.

I also compost my grains and trub.

The other thing I found which wastes a lot less is by buying a 5 gallon water bottle and keeping my star san solution in there. Not only do I use a whole lot less but it saves time by not having to measure and mix every time I brew.

in all my years of being a liberal wacko i've come to accept that stuff like this will be met with a range of reactions from encouragement, to ambivalence, to good natured ribbing, to outright vitriol. we often get so sensitive about it that we confuse the good natured stuff for the hateful. can't let any of it get to you though, life's too short.

the way i see it is that those who genuinely care about being environmentally responsible talk to each other and innovate. make environmentally conscious choices easier and more economical to the point that they make sense even to those who don't care about the environment (or who are skeptical of their own environmental impact).

so good on you for starting a discussion about it. illegitimus non carborundum (NOT specifically calling anyone an illegitimus).

While using my immersion chiller, I get the wort to under 120*. Then I switch to a bucket that has ice, which I made in a plastic bowl, and water with a pond pump. This will take my wort from 120* down to pitching temps. When I am done chilling, I use the water and make new ice blocks. I found out I need to add water to the bowl in 3 stages or I will blow out the bottom of the bowl. I will fill about 1" of water before I go to bed. Wake up for work 6 hours later and add 3" of water. Come home from work and add another 2" or so. Rinse and repeat.

I was wanting to put my pump in my pool. Since winter is coming that water will be NICE and cold. I would have to get an auger to drill the hole to set my pump in otherwise the hose would freeze before I used it next.

I would like to hear others on how they save water while chilling.:mug:

I think the simple act of brewing your own beer rather than buying commercial is "green". I don't have the time or inclination to do the math but I think that when you figure the transportation, storage, refrigeration, middleman costs etc in terms of wasted energy - that the homebrew solution may be more effective in terms of CO2, gas, etc.

Think globally, Drink locally.;)

A single ONE DAY volcanic erruption can release more CO2 into the air than the emissions of fossel fuels world wide for a whole year. Yeah everyone needs to cut back...but there is a lot of evidence out there that global warming is a cycle....or even a bunch of crap. The last few years they are now saying is showing a trend to global cooling...but thats only been in the last few. Anyways....yes...everyone cut back and be smart....but don't buy all the hype.

1. compost spent grains
2. IC water first goes into 5g bucket for cleaning and then into the HLT for the next brew session. after i've conserved those 20 gallons i don't have very long before im at pitching temps.
3. reuse, wash, and bank all my yeast. haven't bought yeast from a store in over a year. saves packaging and money.

my next goal is all electric brewing. besides being a great project and allowing you to brew indoors, an all electric brewery is more energy efficient and cheaper than propane. if you want to go really granola you could off set you brewery energy use with wind credits.

SAVE THE WHALES!!

I think all of us keggers qualify.

Less washing
No caps
No labels
Better thermal conductivity = lower cooling costs
Recycles CO2

And in the summer, the runoff from the chiller goes in the dogs' wading pool.

A single ONE DAY volcanic erruption can release more CO2 into the air than the emissions of fossel fuels world wide for a whole year. Yeah everyone needs to cut back...but there is a lot of evidence out there that global warming is a cycle....or even a bunch of crap. The last few years they are now saying is showing a trend to global cooling...but thats only been in the last few. Anyways....yes...everyone cut back and be smart....but don't buy all the hype.

Global Warming is only one environmental issue. There are so many other things out there that can be done.

Forest fires release tons of CO2 as well.
I do things like this more to save time. I stop by the hbs after work because it's on the way home, same with the grocery store. It takes 15 minutes out of my day. A special trip to the grocery store would take 35-45 minutes from my house.
Now that I'm getting more experience with the all grain, I'm trying to be more efficient with everything. I lay down some old newspapers from the recycling bin so I don't even have to mop or anything when I'm done.
I'm not green, just lazy. :)

As a quick aside, I think we often confuse "going green" with fighting climate change or warming. Going green with our brewing is more about being responsible for and thinking about our own actions than it is about any one environmental issue, real or otherwise...and it can save us $$$, which is a nice benefit in its own right. And beer grains in bread just sounds so amazingly yummy...I really have to try that soon.

you're ignorance and zealotry as a global warming denier is disgusting. keep it to yourself. this thread is about how to conserve while brewing. no one gives a $hit about the politics of you and your mouth-breather friends. this isn't the forum for it.

I'm going to conserve time and electricity by not reading this thread. I can just go down stairs and listen to my kids yell at each other.

Star San in a spray bottle is a good way to stretch it.
People could use dented kegs from breweries as keggles.
Bottling over the open door of the dishwasher saves a cleanup job.
I'm bored at work and those are all I can think of right now.

Not getting into a global warming debate.

With my new indoor brewing system I plan to use the chiller runoff to do a load of laundry. I compost the spent grains and hops. Growing my own hops (No transportation costs and uses of energy to get them to me) I also keg so less washing water wasted. Plus no more extra gas spent carrying home beer in my car.

I've noticed that a lot of people on this forum use their dishwashers to sanitize bottles. Not very green, IMO. Starsan in a spray bottle is cheaper than electricity!

I will be building a solar powered brew shed/garage in the spring... all energy consumed in said building will be totally off-grid. The panels will pay for themselves in 2 years at the estimated rate of use (brewing, garage door, lights, power tools, etc.)

Plus other things mentioned above...

I will be building a solar powered brew shed/garage in the spring... all energy consumed in said building will be totally off-grid. The panels will pay for themselves in 2 years at the estimated rate of use (brewing, garage door, lights, power tools, etc.)

Plus other things mentioned above...

how far along in the planning are you? are you using a battery system? will you have an all electric brewery? please post the details if you've got 'em. i hope you'll start a build thread when you start the project.

Not getting into a global warming debate.

With my new indoor brewing system I plan to use the chiller runoff to do a load of laundry. I compost the spent grains and hops. Growing my own hops (No transportation costs and uses of energy to get them to me) I also keg so less washing water wasted. Plus no more extra gas spent carrying home beer in my car.

i like the laundry idea now that it's winter. usually i send my chiller water into my rain barrels and then recycle that through the chiller next time.

you're ignorance and zealotry as a global warming denier is disgusting. keep it to yourself. this thread is about how to conserve while brewing. no one gives a $hit about the politics of you and your mouth-breather friends. this isn't the forum for it.

You should definitely PM me...and we will debate it.

I thought this was supposed to be about practical tips...If people want to debate this, then split it off from the original discussion and take it over to the debate side of this place...Where some of us have it blocked, so we don't have to participate in the debate or not...

Whether or not you believe in any of this stuff, you have to admit that we end up WASTING a lot of water and other stuff in our hobby (and if you pay for your own water for instance, that can end up adding up to some $$ I think Grinder even mentioned on another thread how expensive his treated water was...I for one, though no environmentalist, would like to get more PRACTICAL TIPS on this subject....

Do you think the people who want to participate on topic, could be allowed allowed to do so, and those who want to troll or debate...go over to the debate section? Tthat's why we have one.

how far along in the planning are you? are you using a battery system? will you have an all electric brewery? please post the details if you've got 'em. i hope you'll start a build thread when you start the project.

I moved to PA from SoCal in June (and lived in Boulder right near Galinos before that move) and have been researching solar for a while for general home use.

Basically the brew system is still in research, but will be all electric. I am gathering kegs, researching controllers, heating elements, etc.

As long as the economy doesn't drop any further, this should be started in late April. Our house does not have a garage, so we are building one, and I got the thumbs up to add a brew room.

So we are taking our solar panel desires and applying it to the garage electric needs.

Has anyone built a passive solar panel system to preheat water? They are fairly inexpensive to make, and you can find plans online for making them.

Back