Strawberry Blonde Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I was looking for a recipe for a Strawberry blonde ale. Was wondering if any one had one or could point me in th direction of a good one? Thanks

Last summer my buddies and I did a Strawberry Hefe. We removed the greens from 5 or 6 quarts of stawberries, dipped them in weak StarSan solution, cut them up and put them in secondary on the Hefe (which we otherwise wouldn't have done).

About five days later we bottled. The strawberries themselves were quite tasty (kinda tingly!), and the beer turned out great too. However, it didn't taste like strawberries per se. It had a bitter fruitiness to it and a nice pinkish hue.

We'll do that again, though I think we'd probably do it with some other lighter in color and texture beer. Maybe even a blond.

Im trying to make a strawberry blonde for a freind, and I need help with how much fruit to use? I want to be able to taste the strawberries but not have them over power the beer. Does anyone have an idea? And when I should add the fruit to the beer.

rapier1644

I did what I'm calling a Strawberry SMaSH that's currently carbing.
I pretty much copied Jamil's Blonde Ale recipe from here, but made it a smash with Maris Otter and Willamette.
Let that ferment at 65 for 2 weeks, then racked to a bucket and put the strawberries in, for another 2 weeks at 65.
For the berries, I just bought a 5 pound bag of frozen, sliced strawberries from Sams Club, and put them in a sanitized 5 gallon paint strainer bag with a twist tie on it to keep everything in the bag.
The beer is pretty good, very recognizably strawberry, but tarter that I was expecting. Not sour, but not sweet. I think I'll like it even more when it has more carbonation.

Hello, I am new to making beer. Have been making wine for two years, but decided to try a Strawberry Ale. My husband has been brewing beer for two years. The recipe we tried indicated to add the mashed, frozen strawberries to the wort after it boiled for one hour. So, the last 20 minutes before cooling, we added 4 quarts of strawberries. They were from a local farm, destemmed, frozen, and then mashed before adding. After we transferred beer to the secondary from primary, we ended up with 4 gallons vs. 5 due to all the strawberry mash at the bottom of the primary. We have it in the secondary (one 3 gallon, and one 1 gallon). It has been almost two weeks, and it is still cloudy. I have read the majority of these threads, and almost all of them didn't add the strawberries until secondary fermentation. We have tried a taste when moving to secondary (that's not why we lost a gallon), and there is not much of a strawberry flavor, and a bit like the "smell of plastic" (that's the best I can describe it, and we did use a food grade primary fermenter). I am looking for advice to determine if I can rack one more time (tertiary) OVER more strawberries to get that stronger strawberry flavor? That's my first idea because I would like more of a strawberry flavor. If that is not recommended, what is the best way to save this batch? Should we wait longer to bottle to see if it clears on it's own, or should we add something to assist in clearing? Thank you!!!

Wow, old thread =)

Fresh fruit can often have a lot of wild yeasts and bacteria growing on them, so it's possible you picked up an infection. I'm not really sure what to suggest there other than be patient and finish the batch. It's possible it may never clear because of pectins in the fruit.

As far as strawberry flavor goes, I was advised by a friend that used to brew melomels (fruit meads) for competition is that strawberries tend to not contribute much flavor at all once the yeast ferments the sugars. You'd have better luck killing/removing the yeast and then adding strawberry juice (assuming you can force carbonate).

The only commercial strawberry beer I know of is Abita's Strawberry Harvest Lager, and they say the following:

"Abita Strawberry Harvest is a lager brewed with pilsner and wheat malts and Vanguard hops. Real Louisiana strawberry juice is added after filtration resulting in a crisp lager with a sweet strawberry flavor, aroma and haze"

Good luck!

Olive-

One thing to consider when adding fruit is pectin haze. By what I understand, pectin haze is increased when the fruit is added at boiling or near-boiling temperatures. Additionally, as mentioned by kkngs, a good portion of the flavor is removed during fermentation. So, to decrease haze and increase the retention of flavor, fruit is often added after heavy fermentation has subsided. Sounds like you followed a good procedure (clean, cut/puree, freeze, thaw). Next time try adding ONLY to the fermenter and not to the boil/whirlpool.

Back