Brewhemoth Black Friday Sale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't remember what i ordered honesty. I thought 3" but they are 6". Just checked it out the 6" is fine with the chiller.....it doesn't hit at all.

Thanks, I'm glad that it's not gonna hit the chiller. I guess I'm still curious as to what length is best for equal reads. I'm worried if it's to far from the coil it'll chill to much and if it's to close to the coil my fermwrap will heat it to much. They are not overly expensive so perhaps an experiment is in order. I do have two :ban:

I still haven't used mine yet :'( but iirc they are passivated by brewhemoth before being shipped. I had planned on running my cip with my sprayball and pbw followed by Starsan.

WELL i read this, https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/passivating-new-conical-necessary-306650/
especially Post #5 and got a little nervous. Haven't done anything with mine. Was planning on same as you doc, running PBW through with the spray ball and then starsan....

Maybe a call to brewhemoth is in order... I'll call them on Monday but I'm 99% sure the are passivated before being shipped. I'll Keep U posted.....here it is

post #822 https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/brewhemoth-conicals-211245/index83.html

Well I still haven't called brewhemoth yet (sorry) but I am planning on doing so sometime this week to inquire about what they are working on as far as heating these things. There was a mention of something in the works in another thread. I will try and remember to ask about whether or not there's a need for passivation.

On another note I am pretty much done with the build of my twins, I have 3 sheets of1/2" insulation I bought from zorotools but need to figure out if I'm gonna use the fermwrap I bought underneath it or not. Thus the reason for the need to call them.

I have been emailing with Josh @ brewhemoth about some other things so in my last email to him I asked about the passivation...here was his response.

We passivate every Brewhemoth in a citric acid-based passivation solution before we package them. If anyone feels they need to passivate them, it won’t hurt anything, but it is not necessary to do anything other than sanitize the Brewhemoth before using it!

Hope this helps.

That is good to know, sanitize and fill it is! Did you ask about what they are planning on doing for heating?

I didn't,

i had already asked about this in an email and didn't want to send another with a followup until they replied, I can certainly ask that as well to save you the phone call.

stay tuned...

-matt

Official response from Josh "Not sure where that rumor came from, we don't have anything planned"

so i think what we were discussing, a valve to switch to run hot water thru it in addition to the thermal tape will be the way to go.

Official response from Josh "Not sure where that rumor came from, we don't have anything planned"

so i think what we were discussing, a valve to switch to run hot water thru it in addition to the thermal tape will be the way to go.

Here is how I heat mine. I have a cheap aquarium heater in a cooler that if full of water. There is a submersible pump in in it that is controlled by a temp controller, STC-1000, a cheap one. When the brewhemoth needs heat the pump is turned on and warm water runs through the coil until it is at the correct temperature.

Contrary to Josh's comments, we do have something planned that will make the Brewhemoth hold the desired temperature regardless if it is hotter or colder in the room than desired. Currently, I am waiting for St Louis weather to settle down to spring temps, highs in the 70's, lows in the 40's, so I can start fermenting in my shop again and hold the Brewhemoth at 64 degrees.

Contrary to Josh's comments, we do have something planned that will make the Brewhemoth hold the desired temperature regardless if it is hotter or colder in the room than desired. Currently, I am waiting for St Louis weather to settle down to spring temps, highs in the 70's, lows in the 40's, so I can start fermenting in my shop again and hold the Brewhemoth at 64 degrees.

Tell us more!!!

Can you at least tell us if it will be able to be retrofitted to current tc brewhemoths?

Back