Base Malt Question!!!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdmccoy

Reaction score
Greetings every one!!!!! First off I would like to introduce my self. I am Joshua and I am in my 3rd year of brewing beer and mead. As for my question what would be a great base malt for brewing?

American 2-row, of course :D
British Maris Otter, also :D

Plus about a dozen others but those are a good start

I like Rahr two-row for basic American beers. It's a grainier tasting base malt. Briess makes one that is a bit different, and it's ok as well.

For British beers, I like Crisp Maris Otter or Simpson's Golden Promise.

For German beers, I really like Weyermann Pilsner malt (also called Lager malt).

I love 2-row and Pilsen malt as base but I usually throw 10-20% Vienna Malt in my recipes because I love the extra flavor depth it provides.

I made an Irish Red with Vienna as the base malt. It came out awesome. For a Scottish Ale, Golden Promise is great. Otherwise, I'm usually using Briess 2-row.

Unsurprisingly it looks like there are a lot of options and opinions you could choose from. I'll give you another: Rahr 2-row for American and Maris Otter for most Western European styles.

So, with that in mind I guess this would be an easier question to answer if you mentioned what types of beer you like best.

I've been using rahr 2-row & marris otter in equal amounts with crustal/specialty grains in my Hopped & Confused ale. Going for a pseudo lager with it. I like the flavors from that combo. But might also try rahr & weyerman's lager malt with it next time.

I am mostly interested in lagers, stouts, and porters. Mostly the last too with a few specialty beers that I have a need for a base malt for.

I think Maris Otter makes a mean stout and/or porter. That said you can get a good (and slightly cheaper) result from Rahr 2-row.

I've been using rahr 2-row & marris otter in equal amounts with crustal/specialty grains in my Hopped & Confused ale. Going for a pseudo lager with it.

For a psuedo-lager, are you planning on using a cold-tolerant ale yeast (like Nottingham) and running it at a low temp or doing something else?

Back