Been gone awhile!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

capcrnch

Reaction score
I've been gone a long time! Almost a full year.
Had a lot happen in that year too.
Last year, I was working a ton of hours, so I had no time to brew or do anything else for that matter. It was work, eat dinner, sleep, rinse, repeat.

Last summer, I lost one of my dogs after 13 years of loyalty and great friendship. This was Cali:
k4y05v.jpg

Not wanting to leave our 6 year old lab without a friend, we decided to get her a friend: This is Tofu
29lzd47.jpg

We got her this little dude. Here he was at 6 weeks old, dumb as a box of rocks, but SO cute. His name? Oberon. aka Obie Very appropriate name for my household.
kbuo74.jpg

This was Obie this past April as I redid the floors in my house.
Great supervisor, isn't he?
29p28ec.jpg

And Tofu with her new buddy
20ubc3q.jpg

Then this past winter, I took my wife to a Lions/Jets game (rare that my Jets come to town, so I take advantage of it). She hates football, but I took her at her request. I think she wanted to tailgate more than anything.
When we got inside and took our seats, I was sizing up the crowd of Lions fans, realizing I was the ONLY Jets fan in our section, when my wife hit me with this:
fcjgn6.jpg

That led to this:
2vx3tpv.jpg

Then on 6/14/2011 at 2:11am, we had a little girl. "Lily Marie"
This was about 5am. That's me working on about 35 hours wide awake.
4ue3pe.jpg

It was the greatest fathers day ever, as I sat on my couch 6 days later, watching the Masters with my daughter.
2a607s0.jpg

I've been a dad for almost 7 weeks now.
We waited 15 years for this gift. While it would have been great 15 years ago, I can't help but thing it was totally worth the wait.

But, now i'm itching to brew again. I think it's because I know i'll have an assistant soon ;)

congrats, and welcome back! :mug:

I saw you post in another thread earlier today and thought, wow, I hadn't seen your name in awhile!

congrats, and welcome back! :mug:

I saw you post in another thread earlier today and thought, wow, I hadn't seen your name in awhile!

It's nice to be remembered! haha

That's great news! I'm so happy for you. She's beautiful. Congrats! :rockin:

Thanks Yoop!
Any chance you're going to venture down to Traverse for the beer fest next month?

Wow. Congrats!

Certainly changes things a bit!

Well, good for you! I can tell you will be a great father. Just enjoy your time with them. Before you know it, they will be gone.

I haven't heard about a beer festival in TC next month, but I'll look it up. Don't know if the wife will allow me to go or not, but if both of us are going, let's meet up.

OH SHT! Euforquestra is going to be playing there!!! Saw then 2 years ago at the Winter beer festival and they were awesome! (Kind of a Reggae/Afro/Ska sound). Some very talented musicians and I think my wife might eve want to go just to see them!

Well, good for you! I can tell you will be a great father. Just enjoy your time with them. Before you know it, they will be gone.

I haven't heard about a beer festival in TC next month, but I'll look it up. Don't know if the wife will allow me to go or not, but if both of us are going, let's meet up.

Thanks!

We went to the microbrew fest last year and it was so worth it.
They're pushing home brewing this year too, so it's a win/win to go!

Right Brain is one of my all time favorite breweries, so I always jump at the chance to go have some beers there.

If you get up there, let me know and we'll get together for a beer for sure!

Welcome back and congrats cap!!!

I was just up in TC about a month ago to officiate the wedding of Terrapinchef. We ended up at right brain after the rehersal dinner.

Traverse City has become an awesome beer town.

Welcome back and congrats cap!!!

I was just up in TC about a month ago to officiate the wedding of Terrapinchef. We ended up at right brain after the rehersal dinner.

Traverse City has become an awesome beer town.

Thanks Rev!

The whole area in downtown is absolutely beautiful. But when you figure in Right Brain, North Peak and then Mackinaw Brewing, all within a mile of each other, it's all win.
Then Short's and Jolly Pumpkin are both close as well.
Add to that, all the wineries?

I need to move to TC. haha

Thanks!

We went to the microbrew fest last year and it was so worth it.
They're pushing home brewing this year too, so it's a win/win to go!

Right Brain is one of my all time favorite breweries, so I always jump at the chance to go have some beers there.

If you get up there, let me know and we'll get together for a beer for sure!

I haven't been up there since RB let their Headbrewer go. I'm curious to see how their beer is holding up since then. I've heard reviews both ways.

I called my wife to let her know about the event, but she didn't seem terribly excited. Could be one of those days at work though.

I may just have to make a run up there without her if she doesn't want to go. I'm serious. :cross:

I haven't been up there since RB let their Headbrewer go. I'm curious to see how their beer is holding up since then. I've heard reviews both ways.

I called my wife to let her know about the event, but she didn't seem terribly excited. Could be one of those days at work though.

I may just have to make a run up there without her if she doesn't want to go. I'm serious. :cross:

I just finished a growler of their "Crazy Snake IPA" and it was awesome.
John was a great brewer, full of knowledge.
The guys that are brewing now had a big hurdle, but are doing better as the days pass!

I didn't even know about it! I'll see what Bob says about it.

It's a fun time for sure.
I'm still trying to talk Lori into it, but we have a friend up there that lives very close and he's a craft brew drinker too. Free place to stay + a chance to show off the baby + beer? Win

Let us know if you talk Bob into it!

Congrats Capn!

That's quite a year full!

Super cute daughter you have there. Better start teaching those dogs how to chase off teenagers on command :)

Thanks!

The dogs have been great with her. I'm really happy about how they're curious, but being so good around her.
I'm REALLY happy with how they're already becoming protective of her. It's almost as if they knew from day 1 that they had to watch and protect her.

Congrats Capn!!

That's a congrats for your beautiful baby girl, and for our likely DOMINANT J-E-T-S!!

On the heels of this weekends Michigan Brew Festival, i've got an itch to brew again. I've been seriously lacking the last year, only brewing 3 or 4 times.
Another AWESOME Michigan Festival, which some of the best weather I can remember ever having. Well represented once again too.

Lately i've been getting a lot of requests and now that Oberon is about to disappear till next spring, I think the timing it perfect.
With that said, I figured a daddy update is in order..
Here's been the last year:

Halloween:
iyh2m8.jpg

Christmas:
sfe3c9.jpg

Christmas was VERY good to her...
bj71aa.jpg

She hung out with mom and dad on St. Patty's day
14mumbr.jpg

Easter:
w2kmpu.jpg

Then there was when she learned to stand up on her own (and now, walking. She's still grasping the whole "step, step, step" thing, but wow)
29pz37q.jpg

We learned she loved spaghetti:
15edzx0.jpg

And we learned that she doesn't like it when the spaghetti doesn't come with garlic bread...
wheio8.jpg

And one of the highlights of the past year? Sitting down with my daughter, both in our Jets gear, watching football. I can't tell you how special this was for me.
2lxghdy.jpg

Then, just some randoms.
iyhov5.jpg

t819xh.jpg

15i3j47.jpg

j6mu08.jpg

I know, totally unrelated to homebrewing..
Now to get back on to related issues...
I'm at a point where she's old enough that my wife and I can start getting some "me time" and getting back to our own hobbies/crafts. For the past year, i've savored the small amounts i've had in the house, but more importantly, i've spent a lot of time missing brewing, which has made me realize how much I love it. After brewing hardcore for the past 6 years, then all of a sudden almost coming to a complete stop, is a bit of a shock.
For father's day, I got a Spike Brewing pot from my wife and I just picked up a new cooler for a mashtun. It's been calling me, begging for me to use it.
So use it, I will. This week i'm going to bang out a cream ale and an IPA and get back to my happy place.

We're actually looking for a new house right now. Every house I look at, one of the first thoughts I have is the back yard and "will I have enough room for a brew shed?"
Now it's just waiting till "Daddy's little girl" is old enough to become "Daddy's little brewing assistant".

And that's the past year!

Back