High temperature question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So I woke up this morning and not only had it warmed up outside, but the dehumidifier in my basement (usually ~65*) where one of my fermenters is kicked on and really warmed up my basement. The thermometer on the bucket is reading 78*! I keep my fernentors in a bath of water to control temperature and have ice bottles in the water to try and bring the temp back down. They beer that warmed up has been fermenting for two weeks and was pitched with wyeast british ale II, so 78* is WAY high.
Aside from cooling the fermentor back to normal temps (68* for this brew) and waiting, is there anything I can do? Did possibly 8-12 hours at 78* at this stage of fermentation adversely affect my beer? Should I just leave it in primary an extra week (4-5 weeks as opposed to 3-4) to clean up any byproducts of a hot ferment?
Thanks for any input.

The high temps will really only cause off flavors at the beginning of fermentation during the growth phase. I doubt that hitting 78F 2 weeks in will cause any noticeable problems. I would taste a sample when you're ready to package and see if it needs longer, but I would think you could stick with 3 or 4 weeks.

Nothing to worry about since fermentation was finished a while ago. Your yeast isn't very active right now and won't produce off-flavors during a temporary 10 degree spike. Just get it back to 68F and have a beer.

Back