Specific Mashing Question - Wort Clarity

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nickster51

Reaction score
I'm new to all-grain, and I'm still working on mastering my process.

How "clear" do you want your wort coming off of your grains? (I'm infusion mashing with 2 low-volume batch sparges). From what I've read, you want to run water out until you are getting "clear" wort. Then you return the unclear water, without disturbing your grain bed, and take your first/second/third runnings. I'm having a hard time getting clear runoff. How clear does it need to be ? (Finished beer clear, hefeweizen clear, maybe pictures would help?).

I know it's hard to answer a question like this online, but any advice is welcome. I could be placing too much emphasis on my wort clarity, but from what I read it indicates an absence of lipids, tannings, etc when the wort is clear.

Let me know if more information is needed to help answer this. Any and all help is greatly appreciated!

I believe you are talking about taking some of the very first running and returning it to the tun for clarification. If that's what you are referring to then you only need to pull wort until it is free of haze. That should be way less than half a gallon. The haze is the garbage you want the grain bed to filter out for you. Clear in this regard has nothing to do with color. When you are getting into late runnings the wort should be clear and the color diminished, but if you sparge until it is colorless then you have extracted all of the tanins from the grain and that's not good. You only sparge until you have removed most of the sugar. Its sort of a balance between efficiency and quality.

Back