Can i use the ball valve from my old MLT in my new brew kettle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wookiemofo

Reaction score
I just picked up a 10gal orange drink cooler and a 7.5gal brew kettle. I may regret not going 10... but it was used, cheap, and already ported for a thermometer and ball valve.

It has an old ball valve on there, and it works. But i was wondering if I could use the valve from my smaller orange drink cooler? I could just take it apart and see if it fits. The kettle wasn't drilled, I don't think. Where the port it the kettle itself actually petrudes. Does that make sense? Or should I just leave the valve that's on there?

Also wondering if someone can recommend a good thermometer to add? And how hard would it be to add a sight glass thing?

I guess the downfall is the kettle doesn't have any handles... but I really shouldn't be moving 5+ gal of hot wort anyway right?

img2931d.th.jpg
[/URL]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/IMG]

Yeah no handles, didn't realize it till i hauled it into the house! Think it will be an issue? I got the pot for $50. Figure I'll learn to deal. He had a cheaper 30qt with handles and no valves for $30. Maybe I should get that for my sparge water? Or use my 20qt for that?

I assume I just have to chill right on my burner then drain into my carboy?

Back