Secondary regulators not working (was Is this an appropriate regulator?)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scuba

Reaction score
After reading the advice I got in a prior thread I hooked it all up. The link (or image if it comes through) below shows how I have it hooked up. But, now I have another problem.

Once I get everything hooked up I set my primary to 35psi. Pressure is going through the high side all the way through both secondary’s, however, there is no pressure going to the low side on either of the secondary regulators. I open up the low side valves on both secondary’s and nothing. I tried turning the screws on both secondary’s all the way up and still nothing. Do I still not have this hooked up correctly?

REG2-2.jpg

I could be wrong on this, but I believe your secondary regulators (they are indeed "secondary" regulators and are labeled as such, right?) are hooked up wrong. They get "high" pressure on the right/left ports, and regulate it on the top/bottom ports.

There should be some markings on the casing of your regulators indicating which is high and which is low. The high for secondary regulators should be hooked up to the low port of your primary.

...edit- I just looked at the picture again and it looks like they are set right (the relief valves are rotated in the 2 secondaries here, which I think makes it all right) .... are yours set up exactly like in this picture?

And when you turn the gas on up to ~35psi on primary and screw the screws all the way in on your middle secondary, you still get nothing? Do you have a check valve put in backwards or something?

...edit- I just looked at the picture again and it looks like they are set right (the relief valves are rotated in the 2 secondaries here, which I think makes it all right) .... are yours set up exactly like in this picture?

And when you turn the gas on up to ~35psi on primary and screw the screws all the way in on your middle secondary, you still get nothing? Do you have a check valve put in backwards or something?

Yes, I have it set up exaclty like the picture. I rotated the seconday's to be sure the flow coming out of the primary went to the high of the seconday. The check valves are in correctly, they can only go in one way so they are practically idiot proof.

You need to replace the gauges on the secondaries with 0-60 psi, so you can see your delivery pressures. The secondaries will never get more pressure than what you have the primary's outlet set to, so the high pressure gauges won't even register.

Are those the guages that came with the regulators originally? If they are then it appears you might have three "primary" regulators and I don't know if a primary will work at 35 lbs. It looks like you have it set up so that the second and third guages are only receiving whatever pressure the first guage is set at and that might not be enough for them to operate correctly.

You need to replace the gauges on the secondaries with 0-60 psi, so you can see your delivery pressures. The secondaries will never get more pressure than what you have the primary's outlet set to, so the high pressure gauges won't even register.

He said that even when he opens the valves on the secondary regulators nothing happens so I don't think the guages are the problem though he should have the 0-60 or 0-30 lb. guages so that he can adjust his serving pressures once he figures out what the problem is.

About the gauges, I updated the image above since I paintshopped the wrong ones on. It now reflects exactly how I have the whole thing set up. Sorry about the confusion.

Sorry to be so redundant, but have you confirmed that the 2 "secondary" regulators you are using are indeed secondary? There should be a label on them if there is any doubt.

Perhaps start from the beginning if you haven't already. Take the 2 secondary regulators off and verify that you get gas coming out of the first low-pressure nipple on the primary. Then, add another regulator (maybe swap the 2 secondary regulator's positions) and try one at a time. The secondary gauge should show pressure as long as it is screwed down (open). Any gas coming out of your secondary valve at this point?

I’m going off memory since I’m not near the setup at the moment, but I am fairly certain the regulators don’t say anything about it being primary or secondary. It does say on the label on the housing that it is 200 psi/1.38 Mpa. I know that pressure is coming out of the primary low side because I get flow coming out of the high valve (the very bottom regulator when looking at the picture). I have tried swapping the secondary’s and still the same problem. I’m wondering if the secondary’s are duds. However, I have opened them and there are no broken pieces, not torn bladders, etc. It all looks good. I’m completely verklempt.

Latest posts

Back