CPVC manifold for batch sparging

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

allanmac00

Reaction score
I'm planning on constructing a MT out of a rectangular cooler and I want to make a CPVC manifold instead of a SS braid -- it just seems a little sturdier than a braid. Does a manifold work for batch sparging?

I'm planning on constructing a MT out of a rectangular cooler and I want to make a CPVC manifold instead of a SS braid -- it just seems a little sturdier than a braid. Does a manifold work for batch sparging?

Yes. With a manifold & properly sized slits or holes you will have less chance of channeling your runoff which should result in a slight efficiency boost.

Also, a manifold works better if you decide to delve into fly sparging. I did my first fly sparge on the last batch with a new CPVC manifold and boosted my efficiency from 72-75% to 88%.

Before changing to my keggle system, I had a 50 qt. rectangular cooler with a cpvc manifold and batch sparged. I regularly got 75% eff.
I often wonder now why I conplicated my brew life sometimes. LOL
Cheers:mug:

....I want to make a CPVC manifold instead of a SS braid -- it just seems a little sturdier than a braid. Does a manifold work for batch sparging?

If you want sturdy and simple, you could try a water heater supply braid, only about 12 bucks at HD. I know you want to use a manifold, but I have had good luck w/ the braid and batch sparging.

A manifold will certainly work for batch sparging, good luck and happy brewing!

My CPVC manifold works very well. I batch sparge and get 80% efficiency. It's worth noting that you do not have to glue the pieces together, it makes it easy to take apart and clean after brewing.

A manifold will work fine. My experience is that they're no more sturdy than braid and they take longer to produce clear runoff than a braid.

A manifold will work fine. My experience is that they're no more sturdy than braid and they take longer to produce clear runoff than a braid.

Good to know. I have heard people complain that the dough in sometimes crushes the braid. But it does seem easier than putting a manifold together.

I have used a CPVC manifold (with slits) for a few years now for batch sparging... Works great! I have moved on to copper though...

Good to know. I have heard people complain that the dough in sometimes crushes the braid. But it does seem easier than putting a manifold together.

I've heard that, too, but it's never happened in the hundreds of times I've used it. I do ad the water before the grain, which likely may protect it, but I also feel like adding grain to water makes it easier for me to stir the grain in without doughballs.

Basically any lauter system will work with batch sparge very well, not the same with fly sparge.

With batch sparging you dont have to worry about channeling, with fly sparging you do, which is why fly sparging manifolds take more care to construct if you want to achieve a good latuer.

I slightly coiled a small piece of 12 gauge copper groundwire and placed it inside the the SS braid, works great and never had it crush.

My CPVC manifold floats until the grain goes in, then I push it down with the mash paddle no problem. The sturdiness of the CPVC allows me to dough in without worry, though I stir in such a manor as to not pull the manifold up...very easy.

Vorlaufing about 6 qts produces clear runnings, less during sparging.

I followed Palmer's design suggestions to allow for maximum efficiency as far as spacing between the manifold and cooler walls, then spacing between manifold sections (2" and 4" respectively). The slits I cut very simply with a small hacksaw, though I recall sweating quite a bit.

Results were amazing as I have achieved 80% efficiency with batch sparge.

Back