Hops Schedule Advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Redbeard5289

Reaction score
Morning Fellow Brewers

I got a recipe that call for the following hop schedule:

.8 oz Willamette, 90 minutes
.4 oz Fuggle, 20 minutes
.4 oz Fuggle, 0 minutes

The two questions I got are;

90 minutes seems a bit long to me, How much IBU will I lose if I switch the Willamette schedule to 60 minutes?

The last Fuggle installment, Do I add this at Flameout prior to running the Wort through my wort chiller or do I hold off on this Fuggle installment and dry-hop it after fermentation is done in my primary?

To give you an idea of the beer I am making, the recipe is a Fat Tire Amber Ale clone and the instructions are a bit vague (and confusing), as in "Boil for 60 minutes, adding hops at times indicated in ingredient list".

Any Help and Advice would be greatly appreciated since I got all the ingredients and made my yeast starter last night and looking to brew this recipe up this weekend...

Thanks
Redbeard5289 :mug:

Plug your recipe into some brewing software to see how the IBUs change. 90 is a common boil length, even though yea, it takes a while.

Add the last installment at flameout, at the very end of the boil. Then cool right away and leave the hops behind in the kettle. If it's meant to be dry hopped it will be indicated in the recipe.

The hop schedule looks pretty clear. I would follow it exactly. Good luck!

The difference in utilization between a 60 and a 90 minute boil is only 6-8%. Mostly, 90 minute boils are for reduction and DMS elimination in all-grain brewing.

BillyBroas and david 42,

Thanks for the responses and advice, much appreciated.
Now I have a game plan for this weekend.

Happy Brewing
Redbeard5289

Back