mouthfeel a little off???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flyfishnc

Reaction score
i've poured a few pints of my beer from the keg and so far it tastes great! the only thing that is a little concerning is the mouthfeel seems a bit too thick for an American Amber.... well, its really more of an IPA since it's a touch on the hoppy side for an amber.

do you guys have any tips / info on what would make it a little thick?

here's the info on the beer.
brewed - 5/14
transferred to secondary - 5/25
kegged - 6/15

recipe:
6 lb Amber Dry Extract
1 lb Cara-Pils / Dextrine
0.5 lb Caramel / Crystal Malt
2.25 oz Cascade Hops
0.5 oz Amarillo Gold
0.5 oz Amarillo Gold
1 tube California Ale (White Labs #WLP001)

eric

Maybe the Dextrine? I am very new to this but is CaraPils?dextrine the same as Malto Dextrine? I may be wrong. But if I'm right maybe that means Im learning something. Just my $.02

Well, a pound of carapils will do it! I don't use carapils if I'm using a crystal malt, since that also contributes to body and mouthfeel. If a beer will be "thin" or without any head, I add maybe .5 pound of carapils, but it's not something I use very often at all.

Aside from the carapils, the recipe looks good. Try it again with either no carapils or .25 pound at most, and I bet you'll be happier.

Well, a pound of carapils will do it! I don't use carapils if I'm using a crystal malt, since that also contributes to body and mouthfeel. If a beer will be "thin" or without any head, I add maybe .5 pound of carapils, but it's not something I use very often at all.

Aside from the carapils, the recipe looks good. Try it again with either no carapils or .25 pound at most, and I bet you'll be happier.

thanks! what could i use instead?

I'm gonna say that 1.5 lbs of crystal malts, plus possibly not enough carbonation, is giving you the thick mouth feel. Another few days on the gas should carb it up better and help smooth out the mouthfeel. (from what I read, its on gas 5 days?)

I'm gonna say that 1.5 lbs of crystal malts, plus possibly not enough carbonation, is giving you the thick mouth feel. Another few days on the gas should carb it up better and help smooth out the mouthfeel. (from what I read, its on gas 5 days?)

yeah, i've lowered the psi down to 11 so i can pour a few pints.

Some extracts can have a lot of unfermentables. One of them that I use always leaves me 6-8 gravity points high on my FG.

It might be me or more likely the Apfelwein but I was thinking of something way different when I read the title of this thread.:tank:

If you mashed a little on the high side, that would increase mouthfeel as well - try dropping the temp by a couple degrees and see what happens.

thanks for all of the help guys! i'll take all of the suggestions into consideration when i brew this recipe again.

eric

Latest posts

Back