Hops for a Kolsh?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bad coffee

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm brewing a kolsh-ish tomorrow, and here's my proposed grain bill.

4# 2 row pale
4# Belgian Pils
1# Wheat
.5# Honey Malt

I'm thinking
1 oz Saaz 3.2% for 60
2 oz Hallertau Select 1.5% 30

I bought the Hallertau 1.5% on sale somewhere to use for a flavor hop. They've been taking space in the fridge for a while, so I might as well get rid of them.

Does anyone have suggestions for other hop schedules? Right now the brew comes in at about 21 IBU, which is nice and low for a summer session beer.

I have a feeling I'll be brewing this more than once this summer. My next run will be the same grain bill with all C hops.

What suggestions do you guys have? I have a bunch of hops, and could possibly hit the LHBS if there's a glowing recommendation that I don't have.

Thanks
B

Just like many German lager or lager-like beers, there are few hop flavor or aroma additions in a Kolsch, so you might just want to keep most of your additions at the 60 mark with whatever noble hops you feel like. But since you call it "Kolsch-ish", you're probably free to hop it however you'd like. The grain bill seems pretty complicated too...for a Kolsch at least. Kolsch's are pretty much 100% pilsner. When you add other types of malt or adjuncts, you're heading into blonde ale territory (as long are you're in the SRM range), but again...kolsch-ish...pretty much leaves it up your imagination.

The recipe ended up (10 gallon)
14# German Pils
4# Wheat Malt
1# Honey Malt

1 hour mash at 152*
Batch sparge to collect 13 total gallons

90 minute boil

1 oz Perle 9.2 @60 min
1 oz Saaz 3.2 @30 min

Half on 2565 Kolsch yeast, half on Notty.

B

I originally had 1# in the 5 gallon batch. I doubled it for the 10 gallon, and since I didn't have any coffee in the am, I doubled it again when I measured it out. I had it milled before I caught it. There's no sense throwing out 19# of grain for a small oops.

B

Back