thoughts on wyeast 1272 in an IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Righlander

Reaction score
so they were out of my main go to yeast wlp001 at the LHBS. i decided to go with 1272, a yeast i have never used before. any thoughts on this yeast?

Very nice yeast. It's a little fruitier than WLP001/Wy 1056 and tends to end a touch sweeter. Floccs better though. And in my experience, it only forms a small krauesen. Haven't had it blow off in a 25 liter demijohn with 22 liters of beer, while WLP001 sometimes does.

Anyway, it'll work great.

The more I use it the more I prefer it over WLP001/Cali. The flocculation isn't a little better, it's quite a bit better IMO, which is nice, especially for bottle conditioning. If you keep the temp 65-68 F, the extra "fruitiness" won't be noticeable in anything but the most delicate beers, and even then it is actually pleasant. in pale ales, IPA's, etc. it tastes very clean. I would agree that it's a slower fermenting yeast than and doesn't blowoff as much as WLP001.

I just made an IIPA that I dumped on the yeast cake from an American Amber, and it went from 1.081 to 1.016 in a week. Threw a ton of H2S during fermentation, but this dissipated by day 9, and it is a terrific beer. Nice body yet just dry and crisp enough to accentuate the hop bitterness. Would make sure that you mash a bit lower to ensure the beer dries out, since it doesn't attenuate as well as WLP001.

The more I use it the more I prefer it over WLP001/Cali. The flocculation isn't a little better, it's quite a bit better IMO, which is nice, especially for bottle conditioning. If you keep the temp 65-68 F, the extra "fruitiness" won't be noticeable in anything but the most delicate beers, and even then it is actually pleasant. in pale ales, IPA's, etc. it tastes very clean. I would agree that it's a slower fermenting yeast than and doesn't blowoff as much as WLP001.

I just made an IIPA that I dumped on the yeast cake from an American Amber, and it went from 1.081 to 1.016 in a week. Threw a ton of H2S during fermentation, but this dissipated by day 9, and it is a terrific beer. Nice body yet just dry and crisp enough to accentuate the hop bitterness. Would make sure that you mash a bit lower to ensure the beer dries out, since it doesn't attenuate as well as WLP001.

cool. i mashed at 151f and got the ferm fridge set on 60-64f.

Damn! 1272 took off fast. it's ripping through my IPA right now. didn't need a blow off tube, but wow, intense fermentation.

I'm currently fermenting NB's Irish Ale all-grain with 1272. It chewed right through the starter and flocculated in <24 hours. As expected, it took off again upon pitching (67F), and after two days the krausen fell and airlock action has stopped. Brewed Thursday evening (OG 1.052), checked gravity this morning (Sunday, 1.011). Not bad for 3 days.

The sample was still pretty cloudy, so I'll give it a couple more days to drop out, then a day at 70, and I should have it in the kegerator Wed night!

Hopefully I'll be able to write back with a positive tasting report!
Jason
:mug:

1272 is basically my "house" strain, though I've lost count of how many generations I've gone through at this point (5th? 7th?), so I'd be surprised if it's true to the original characteristics. I've always felt that this is an underappreciated yeast. It leaves an ever-so-slight residual sweetness, which is great for a lot of styles where you want to balance out hop bitterness or strong roasted malt flavors. I like fermenting it warm (70-71), because I actually like the fruitiness, but for my last beer I fermented it at 67 and it actually blew the airlock for the first time ever for me.

The more I think about it, the more like like 1272. Have used it in a few IPAs and different beers that I wanted a little fruity sweetness to, but it is a very subtle fruit character that I think could be used for many styles. Keeping ferm temps on the low side keep it quite clean similar to 1056/001. Pretty versatile IMO.

That's it. I'm ditching my 1056 and moving to 1272!

I realize I'm bumping an old thread, but as I know a lot of people (like me) are diving in via google search, the information here should still be relevant to some... I've done a couple IPAs with 1272 (a citrus-y black IPA and a fruity Mosaic Single Hop) - both were fermented between 65-68 and while it did take a little longer to finish out than WLP001 both beers turned out exceptional. As much as I love a really dry CA IPA there's something about the flavor profile I get that I prefer over WLP001. Both beers attenuated to around 1.012 which was a touch sweeter than I'm used to, but if you are like me and "overdo it" with hops, this yeast creates a great balance to 100+ IBU hop bombs.

Just brewed a rye pale ale at around 1.052 with 40 ibus, pitched with a nice starter of 1272. Curious to note the differences vs 1056. The starter wort definitely had its own flavor for sure. Kind of had a tartness to it.

Back