Filling/reusing kegs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fallbrew

Reaction score
Hi there forum,
Do you folks know if i can reuse the kegs from the store? They are 15 gallons and one is a pony keg, not sure on the gallons. This is what im having trouble trying to figure out:
"how would i fill these, and how would i presurize them?
also "Any tips on dispensing?"
Thanks folks im sure im going to need a special tool or something to get inside it.
Any help is appreciated.:mug:
i can send pics to folks interested

Although special tools do exist for sanke keg spear removal, all you need is a small flathead screwdriver and some pliers. If you're going to use sankes for serving, I highly reccomend replacing the spring style retaining rings with 2" snap rings. It will make taking them apart and putting them back together much faster and easier.

Make sure the pressure on the keg is discharged before attempting to remove the spear, lest it literally becomes a spear.

Oh, and the larger keg is 15.5 gallons and the smaller 7.75, also referred to as a 1/2 barrel and 1/4 barrel respectively, unless the "pony" keg is really a sixtel, which is a 1/6 barrel.

Also, and I'm sure this goes withoug saying, you should only really reuse commercial kegs you own and have purchased legally. There are a ton of threads around here about whether paying the thirty-or-so dollar "deposit" provides you with "ownership" of a keg. That is, if you "bought" a keg of Miller Lite, you really just purchased the beer and borrowed the container, which they intend for you to return once said beer is consumed.

Since you didn't say whether these were kegs you purchased or beer in kegs you purchased at the store, I'm not placing any judgement on ya. :)

The least messy way to discharge the pressure is to attatch a hose to the out barb of your sanke coupler, put the other end of the hose in a bucket, and engage the coupler. The pressure will vent into the bucket along with any stale beer that may be lurking.

The least messy way to discharge the pressure is to attatch a hose to the out barb of your sanke coupler, put the other end of the hose in a bucket, and engage the coupler. The pressure will vent into the bucket along with any stale beer that may be lurking.

What you couldn't wait for him to post about a stale beer shower before saying that! That's what I was waiting for. ;)

lol u guys are really helpful and i almost spit my beer on the screen when u said
Make sure the pressure on the keg is discharged before attempting to remove the spear, lest it literally becomes a spear..
:drunk:
Also if i want to dispense from this keg should i make a cold chamber or use an old fridge i find or is it not possible? Since this is a keg from coors blue moon? and yus i payed for the keg 150 not to bad seeing as i payed for the beer with that total. Also no i called them after reading this:"
Also, and I'm sure this goes with ought saying, you should only really reuse commercial kegs you own and have purchased legally. :)
Thanks again guys! Any further answers will be helpful especially in the case of dispensing!:confused:

3mb3o53ld5t45w35p1a7pb6.jpg

heres a pic of the one im going to modify so i can use as a home draft system

Back