what is a fair price for this?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigtop

Reaction score
I am new to the site, but not brewing. I had, HAD, some great equipment that took about 5 years to get where I wanted it. Then with a move and a little help from United most of it came up missing. Now I am trying to get it to where it was. My father in law told me about a set up a guy was selling, however, he said he did not know the price. I need a little help in what to offer for it.

1/2 bbl 2-tiered home brew system. Features a 2 tiered rack made from 1 1/4"
angle iron, 3 cajun cooker propane burners with gas controls, high pressure
propane regulator and hose, and 3 1/2 bbl sanke beer kegs converted into a hot
liquor tank (HLT), mash tun (MT), and boil kettle (BK).

The HLT has a polycarbonate sight glass, a 3" dial face thermometer, and a 3/8"
brass ball valve with a 3/8" pickup tube inside.

The MT has a 3" dial face thermometer, a 9" diameter domed SS false bottom with
3/8" pickup tube connected to a 3/8" brass ball valve, and a 3/8" brass ball
valve near the top for a wort return line when recirculating.

The BK has a 3/8" brass ball valve with a 3/8" pickup tube inside with a SS
hose braid filter, a 3/8" brass ball valve near the top for a wort return line,
and a 1/2" welded coupling for a thermometer (not included).

The system also has a March 809HS High temperature magnetically coupled pump
with a brass ball valve on the outlet side, a waterproof switch, and 25' cord.
It also has a copper in copper counterflow wort chiller (not pictured) with 3"
dial thermometer at the outlet, and also a copper wort return line.
Additionally, there are 3 high-temperature silicone hoses with quick-connect
female fittings on each end, and all system connections have quick-connect male
fittings.

MT--------
l
HTL------------Boil
---------------------------------
propane Pump

I think this is the set up from what I can get out of my FIL, a guy who knows nothing about beer, but how to drink it.
:rolleyes:

Thank you,

Bigtop

It'd be useful to see some pics, just to see the condition, construction, etc...

however, I do not have any. I am just looking for a range of prices. I would think $500 is a good low ball offer. I just want to know a fair price.

He said he sent a pic, I do not have it and neither does FIL, who the hell knows.

It also has a copper in copper counterflow wort chiller (not pictured) - one would think there is a pic, I know.

Bigtop

I've seen similar systems offered for over 1 grand. If it's what I am picturing, $500 is a severe lowball offer.

If he's motivated to sell, your next post will be LOOK WHAT I SCORED FOR $500! Of course if he just blows you off $800 might get him to bite a little...

If you do get this for $500, make sure you post your score w pictures- and remember, we don't REALLY hate you, just jealous :mug:

I have contacted the owner a few times and he wants 750. It is a well seasoned setup. The guy has been great to work with. I do not know if I am going to pull the trigger or not on it. However, if anyone is around Boone, NC and interested PM me and I will give you the info on it.

Bigtop

I think it is resonable. Ptting the cpplings in and frech kegs wols cost yo $450 to $500. Material and time ptting the strctre wold be $400. This eqals $850 Get it and move on

I'll second that. Unless this stuff is severely run down, $850 is well worth it. The gear alone (pump, valves, tun, etc) are already worth that. Hell, I just finished buying the gear (and am assembling it) to make my jump to all grain, and I've spent that easily (pix will be posted later). Though I did also manage to walk away with a therminator (expensive little beasties those, but man can they cool the wort!)

I got an e-mail yesterday with this link click. The guy knows his stuff and is easy to deal with. Over the holiday I will be in Knoxville and I am going to drive over and take a look. It looks like it is well used. I just thought I would post this and let others take a look and it might be in their garage and not mine, but oh well.

Thank you to all and Happy Holidays,

Bigtop

Back