tubing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

docmoran

Reaction score
Need some information about best type tubing for hot transfers under normal march pump pressures and not so rigid that difficult to work with.

I use 1/2" high-temp tubing from Northern Brewer, $1.40 a foot. It's pretty heavy duty stuff, with 1/8" thick walls. Add some quick-disconnects from McMaster-Carr (part numbers 6739K59, 6739K64, 6739K68) and you've got a pretty slick system.

Tubing @ Northern Brewer

(EDIT: Thanks to Bobby_M BTW, for finding those disconnects.)

BlindLemon,

Thanks for the input -- I did come across that tubing the other day but got nervous about the stiffness or rigid comment. Is is pliable enough to work with and make connects to kettles etc.??

Is is pliable enough to work with and make connects to kettles etc.??

Yes, it's manageable. Just plan before cutting it, to make sure the lengths you have in mind will flex enough to make the necessary turns in your rig.

You need something fairly rigid, that won't collapse from suction. Another benefit of the thick walls is that you can handle the tubing without gloves, even with hot wort flowing. (Don't touch the disconnects without gloves though, they get plenty hot!)

BlindLemons

Hate to beat a dead horse but I am almost sold on the tubing you directed me to -- nice to know its workable -- is it as cleanable as the others out there -- have you used yours for alot of runs etc? thanks for the great input. doc

I've used it for only two batches, and previously a few test runs with boiling water. So far so good. I've got two 5' runs and one 1.5' piece, and with those I can hook up my pump, chiller, MLT and HLT in whatever combination I need. I'm using all stainless worm clamps (also from McMaster-Carr, #5574K13) to attach the quick disconnects. These are really nice, much better than the ones you find at auto parts stores.

I got the hoses pretty dirty yesterday, but they cleaned up very easily.

Back