What in the hell are they thinking

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yikes, I guess if they break their neck its not meant to be. I won't knock anyone else's culture, but I'm glad I never had to go through that...

I always wonder how stuff like this gets started. I mean, who decided to throw the first baby off the roof? And why?

*shrug*

Looks to me like the kid really isn't in any more danger than they are at a swim class.

So I guess later in life the parents don't use the ole...

"So if all your friends go get thrown off a roof does that mean you're going to go get thrown off a roof too?"

Is Michael Jackson in that religion or something??? :cross: :cross:

_38487075_jackson_baby300.jpg

Dunno, maybe they think they're scaring off evil spirits or something. Looks like none of the kids got hurt, at least. I'll stick with baptizing the kids, thank you.

You know, in the face of the hundreds of atrocities that happen in this country on a weekly basis, this rates pretty low on my "worry about stuff" list.

I can see how you feel about it, but if you are against it you are basically being "ethnocentric" which means judging another culture by your own standards...it didn't look like the babies were being hurt in any way to me.

One tribal culture has a "right of passage" that includes building a tower and jumping off with a vine tied around your ankle. You're not supposed to hit your head only come close. Some people think that is strange and would never do it...others capitalized on the idea and brought us "bungie jumping". Same principal, just not carried to the same extreme...except they do it for profit.;)

IMO, let them do what they want with their children...somewhere along the line Darwin's Survival of the Fittest theory will kick in...:rockin:

Bedlam said:
You know, in the face of the hundreds of atrocities that happen in this country on a weekly basis, this rates pretty low on my "worry about stuff" list.

I know what you mean. When McDonalds stopped selling Super Sized Fries, it was one of the darkest days in our Country's history :(

homebrewer_99 said:
I can see how you feel about it, but if you are against it you are basically being "ethnocentric" which means judging another culture by your own standards...it didn't look like the babies were being hurt in any way to me.

One tribal culture has a "right of passage" that includes building a tower and jumping off with a vine tied around your ankle. You're not supposed to hit your head only come close. Some people think that is strange and would never do it...others capitalized on the idea and brought us "bungie jumping". Same principal, just not carried to the same extreme...except they do it for profit.;)

IMO, let them do what they want with their children...somewhere along the line Darwin's Survival of the Fittest theory will kick in...:rockin:

I can't get with this line of thought. I mean if Ma or Pops wants to jump off the temple into their bedsheets, so be it they are of age to make their own cdecisions. But leave the babies out of it.

They got enough crap to deal with in that country.

GilaMinumBeer said:
... They got enough crap to deal with in that country.

Yes, they do, and every one of those babies is charmed by good luck now, right? Think how much worse off they would be if they weren't thrown off the roof. ;)

GilaMinumBeer said:
I can't get with this line of thought. I mean if Ma or Pops wants to jump off the temple into their bedsheets, so be it they are of age to make their own cdecisions. But leave the babies out of it.

They got enough crap to deal with in that country.

None of those babies look like they are in any more danger than kids who get thrown in a pool as infants.

PeteOz77 said:
that reminds me of this video

[youtube]pmOmT7a8NB4[/youtube]

Now that doesn't look too smart. A beer weighs enough that it could have broken it's spine under it's own weight...

About the OP, doesn't seem much more different than an Inuit (aka Eskimos, although please call them Inuit now, it's more politically correct) ritual where newborn babies are dunked into freezing water right after birth.
I think the take on it is "if they're too weak to survive a baby, we shouldn't try and raise them to adults".

Back