Splitting a batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Surly

Reaction score
Hi
I have an American Amber Ale in primary. I will be moving it to secondary in a day or two.

I have thought I would try something new and split my five gal batch into two 2.5 gallon beers. I would like to dry hop one batch and continue the other as planned.

Do you see a problem with my moving 2.5 gallons to a 5 gallon carboy? (That is the only size I have.)

None at all. I like to pressure check my kegs, so they are full of CO2 when I transfer, but you can just purge the head space after filling.

david_42 said:
None at all. I like to pressure check my kegs, so they are full of CO2 when I transfer, but you can just purge the head space after filling.

TY for the response. I will not be using a keg to ferment in secondary but rather a 5 gallon glass carboy. Is that too large for 2.5 gallons of beer?

do you keg though? if so the process still applies...blow CO2 into the carboy before racking to purge as much regular air as possible.

I need to try what you're doing sometime. I actually have two 2.5 gallon carboys, as well as a 3 gallon carboy.

malkore said:
do you keg though? if so the process still applies...blow CO2 into the carboy before racking to purge as much regular air as possible.

I need to try what you're doing sometime. I actually have two 2.5 gallon carboys, as well as a 3 gallon carboy.

No, I do not keg and therefore do not have the ability to CO2 purge.

Is that important to a 2.5 gal beer in a 5 gal carboy? Am I leaving the beer to too much oxygen?

Back