kegging age time?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lost

Reaction score
So, I may move to a kegging setup for christmas.. anyhow, I'm curious if kegging reduces the necessary aging time for the beer to taste great.

With bottles 1.5 - 2 weeks results in a carbonated beer but 1 - 1.5 months in the bottles results in really great tasting, smooth, mellow beer. So, since I don't have to wait 2 weeks for the beer to ferment/carbonate in the keg (since you force carbonate) does the beer need to sit in the keg as long to really mellow? To me this is would be one of the biggest benefits to kegging (well that and the beer being drinkable in a day or two instead of a week or two). So, what have been your experiences? If you're kegging, how long does is take for the beer to really start tasting great? Do you let it sit out in room temp to age or age it in the fridge?

Kegging doesn't seem to change the aging time at all. I just keep it in the garage, except in the summer when it's too hot.

Agree...I both bottle and keg. When I keg, I do like the partial priming method with pressurizing to 8psi or so. I've not found much difference in the time it takes to condition. I've also not found much diff in the time to age. You can force carbonate with a keg, and I suppose drink almost immediately. I've not tried it and suspect the beer would taste fairly "green". My $0.02.

Back