German Pils Fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johnnyboy1012

Reaction score
Hey guys,
I brewed a German Pils with two packs of wyeast 2124 bohemian lager yeast and a large starter. The OG was 1.048 and I pitched at 44 degrees. This is my first lager and I need some advice. The wyeast site says this use may need a thorough diacetyl rest. I pitched at 44 degrees then let rise to fermentation temp at 48-50 in my fridge. After doing a lot of reading on diacetyl rests I gathered that a rest would not hurt the beer as long as it is at the correct gravity which is about 1.020. Last night I checked the gravity and it was 1.024-22, so I left it in the fridge for another 12 hours and then took it out this morning. My question is, did I take the beer out fridge too soon since it was only in there for about 5.5 days? How long can I keep it at room temperature? Next time should I keep it in the fridge for 2-3 weeks? If there was a lot of diacetly in my beer would a long primary (3-4 weeks) clean it up without doing a diacetyl rest? Thanks for the help!

Hey guys,
I brewed a German Pils with two packs of wyeast 2124 bohemian lager yeast and a large starter. The OG was 1.048 and I pitched at 44 degrees. This is my first lager and I need some advice. The wyeast site says this use may need a thorough diacetyl rest. I pitched at 44 degrees then let rise to fermentation temp at 48-50 in my fridge. After doing a lot of reading on diacetyl rests I gathered that a rest would not hurt the beer as long as it is at the correct gravity which is about 1.020. Last night I checked the gravity and it was 1.024-22, so I left it in the fridge for another 12 hours and then took it out this morning. My question is, did I take the beer out fridge too soon since it was only in there for about 5.5 days? How long can I keep it at room temperature? Next time should I keep it in the fridge for 2-3 weeks? If there was a lot of diacetly in my beer would a long primary (3-4 weeks) clean it up without doing a diacetyl rest? Thanks for the help!

You should be fine taking it out of the fridge at that gravity. I did a diacetyl rest on an oktoberfest at 1.024 and the beer turned out great. I would keep it around 60 degrees until the fermentation is done, or close to done, then rack to a secondary to drop down to cold lagering temps for a few weeks. The warmer temperature is to help the yeast ferment faster, and consume the diacetyl in the process. If you keep them at the colder temperature, they won't consume the diacetyl and you'll end up with the buttery aroma and slick mouthfeel.

thanks for the quick reply! would a long primary take care of diacetyl or you would need a rest towards the end of fermentation to take care of it?

yeast go at their own pace, so it'll vary. my lagers usually move fast, so i typically start a d-rest around day 5-7, so sounds normal to me.

Back