small fridge

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mot

Reaction score
I have a small kenmore fridge that would be enough to fit two kegs in it. I dont know much about kegging and making a kegerator. This small fridge has one of the cheapy small freezer trays on top. Is it possible to make a kegerator out of these or if they have the freezer on top will they not work???

It will work if you can carefully bend the freezer tray down. Most people on this forum will only recomend this if it was a free/cheap fridge, the freon line is fragile and could be broken in the attempt-thus not a viable solution for an expensive fridge.

Good luck. :mug:

Flyin' Lion said:
It will work if you can carefully bend the freezer tray down. Most people on this forum will only recomend this if it was a free/cheap fridge, the freon line is fragile and could be broken in the attempt-thus not a viable solution for an expensive fridge.

Good luck. :mug:

I can easily take it out, I just dont know about adding the tap and tower and such cutting into something or freezing the beer once I take it apart. Anyone ever try this to one of the small fridges

The freezer part on these fridges is the only source of cooling AFAIK, if you take it out...well...its shot.

I have a small kenmore as well. I use it for controlling fermentation temps, carboy fits in the there nicely...I hope one day to get a chest freezer and move onto kegging (I really hate bottling). I could probably get two kegs in there if I bent it down but don't want to risk loosing it as I need fermentation temp control for ales in the summer and for any future lagers.

Beerrific said:
The freezer part on these fridges is the only source of cooling AFAIK, if you take it out...well...its shot.

I have a small kenmore as well. I use it for controlling fermentation temps, carboy fits in the there nicely...I hope one day to get a chest freezer and move onto kegging (I really hate bottling). I could probably get two kegs in there if I bent it down but don't want to risk loosing it as I need fermentation temp control for ales in the summer and for any future lagers.

i dont thinkk i have to take it out just the shelves i think I havent inspected it really close just didnt know if they work for a keggerato or not. I might just be using it to do lagers instead

I have seen what you are talking about. Basically the Freon line is directly on top, and there is a small closed bin (aka the freezer portion) directly underneath it that gets the brunt of the cooling. Yes if it doesnt interfere with the coolant lines, then by all means take it out. However you are gonna have a hell of a time knowing where to cut for a tap tower unless you go through the door.

Latest posts

Back