Yeast Blending advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aceparadis

Reaction score
Yeast blending, what are your thoughts advise, tips or horror stories, good combinations. I would like to hear em.

Making barleywine, would like to add something interesting. I've played around with different malts, hops, spices and learned much. I'd really like to see what two or more different yeast strains can do to this beer.

Grainbill is simple, 20lbs marris otter, 1lbs crystal 77, .5lbs crystal 150. 2oz EKG @60, 1oz EKG @ 20.

Start off with something that can't handle high alcohol but gives off flavorful esters. When it stall pitch something that will get the attenuation you desire.

aceparadis said:
Yeast blending, what are your thoughts advise, tips or horror stories, good combinations. I would like to hear em.

Making barleywine, would like to add something interesting. I've played around with different malts, hops, spices and learned much. I'd really like to see what two or more different yeast strains can do to this beer.

Grainbill is simple, 20lbs marris otter, 1lbs crystal 77, .5lbs crystal 150. 2oz EKG @60, 1oz EKG @ 20.

Where do you get crystal 77?

Or is that a custom blend :)

Last month I split a batch of a Belgian dark strong ale, fermented half with wlp500 and the other half with wlp550, just to get a feel for the different yeasts. On bottling day I bottled a case of each and racked the leftover to the same gallon jug for aging, so I've got a nice half/half blend of the two to try as well. 3 different beers from one brew!

Last month I split a batch of a Belgian dark strong ale, fermented half with wlp500 and the other half with wlp550, just to get a feel for the different yeasts. On bottling day I bottled a case of each and racked the leftover to the same gallon jug for aging, so I've got a nice half/half blend of the two to try as well. 3 different beers from one brew!

^^ This is a good way to blend. The tough part with mixing yeast, besides the competitive factors, is that you never really know which yeast had the most success so repetition is a little more difficult. A little temperature deviation might favor one strain over the other and completely change things. When mixing beer and wine yeast you have to keep them seperate due to the wines competitive factor.

I think I remember reading this in the Yeast book but don't feel like looking it up so here goes. If I'm remembering correctly I think they suggested the best way was to pitch one right away that you want to get more flavor/aroma from to do most of the work within the first two days of fermentation or so and then to pitch a second one to finish up with a higher attenuation.

Back