Intentionally pitching high - mash high to control attenuation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bacon488

Reaction score
Just to see if I can, I'm making a pseudo-lager with WLP007 and 90% Maris Otter. I'm making up a 2L starter on a stir plate for a 5 gallon batch at 1.045 OG. Mr. Malty says I need 1L, so I'll be pitching high. And fermenting low, <60. Basically trying to keep the esters really low.

Now, I know about the risks of overattenuating. So if I mash a little high, could the increased unfermentables help to keep the attenuation down?

That's my theory anyway, but I'm looking for any input, particularly about mashing high then pitching high.

Oh, one other tidbit: It'll be double decocted, which may impact the fermentable/unfermentable balance as well. 131-152-167 mashout is my current plan. (The first decoction, taken at the very beginning, rests at around 158 before boiling.) That mash profile has produced some great malt flavor and body in other lagers. Maybe bump it up a few degrees on the sacc rest? Leave it alone?

That's pretty darn low for 007, but try it and see what happens!
As for controlling attenuation, I'd just keep track of gravity and rack off the yeast when it hits the gravity you want to finish at.

Tasty from the brewing network likes mashing higher with a full attenuation in his brews

I do this with my low gravity beer to give it a fuller mouth feel and keep the alcohol low. I also ferment cooler (62-64). Works well.

Back