Ann Arbor, Michigan

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

66sled

Reaction score
I will be spending next weekend in Ann Arbor, MI and was looking for some good bars and restaurant. Any suggestions are appreciated.

You can't go wrong with Jolly Pumpkin. Where else can you get Bam Biere on tap.

Ashleys is a must. Huge selection.

+1 on the Jolly Pumpkin.

I enjoy stopping by Grizzley Peak now and then. I don't know what they have on tap right now, but I usually just stop by to have a specialty/seasonal brew.

wSelwyn said:
+1 on the Jolly Pumpkin.

I enjoy stopping by Grizzley Peak now and then. I don't know what they have on tap right now, but I usually just stop by to have a specialty/seasonal brew.

I recently heard that JP owned or had some stake in grizzly peak as well as others in MI.

I recently heard that JP owned or had some stake in grizzly peak as well as others in MI.

I heard it was a wife and husband team. Technically the same company, but owned by two people due to state laws.

And FWIW I'm not a big fan of JP beers. They are well known and well liked, but they don't make the kinds of beers I prefer.

I DID get good beers at Arbor Brewing though, just down the street. There are a few nice places in the area for sure.

Homercidal said:
I heard it was a wife and husband team. Technically the same company, but owned by two people due to state laws.

And FWIW I'm not a big fan of JP beers. They are well known and well liked, but they don't make the kinds of beers I prefer.

I DID get good beers at Arbor Brewing though, just down the street. There are a few nice places in the area for sure.

I have said it in other threads, but I dont care for JP either. Their specialties just dont do it for me. I understand why others like them, but its just not my style. I highly recommend the brewpub to people because they have a nice place.

I just visited the Ann Arbor JP Cafe on a Michigan trip to visit family. The cafe is nice, located right on the main drag in AA (Main St). They have a few JP brews on tap if you like brett or sour beer, and you can buy chilled JP bottles as well. They also have some non-brett beers available by another brewery (forgot the name). I didn't try the other beers since I'm a JP fan. The food is upscale, organic/local pubfare. Local, grassfed beef burger- organic lettuce in the salads, etc. The prices were reasonable. We got there at like 5:00 on a Friday, and traffic and parking was not fun, but there is a parking ramp behind the cafe that we fought our way into.
I think JP also has a cafe in Traverse City, and a friend told me that they are opening one in Rochester Hills too, but I don't know if that's true or not.

Yep, Ashley's is still there. Just went to their cask ale fest last weekend. They always have a fantastic selection there, and many tap takeovers.

Great beer in Michigan, and great beer selection.

I know I'm a little late to this thread, but no one has mentioned Wolverine State Brewing yet. It has a few downsides: no food and it's not right downtown. But if you love beer (and you do because you're on this forum) these are easily overlooked. It's for sure one of the top-tier breweries in Ann Arbor.

Back