What's your profession?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KuntzBrewing

Reaction score
Seems like most people are Engineers of some sort on here, I myself am an Engineering Technology student at Purdue, just wondering what profession everyone is. Just trying to see if there are any correlations between professions and brewing!
Thanks!

I'm an attorney, but I hold an engineering-lite degree (Industrial Distribution) and most of the brewers I know are either engineers or think like engineers think.

electrical supply warehouse manager. Not stuff like light swichs more like motor starters lighting contactors and 800 amp breakers

KuntzBrewing said:
Seems like most people are Engineers of some sort on here, I myself am an Engineering Technology student at Purdue, just wondering what profession everyone is. Just trying to see if there are any correlations between professions and brewing!
Thanks!
ET at Purdue? Nice. I was in Computer Science at purdue for 2 years before I realized I hated it. Now I'm a cook for purdue. Haha alot less money but hopefully someday i'll have a brewpub to call my own. PM me sometime if you want to swap some brews.

JollyIsTheRoger said:
ET at Purdue? Nice. I was in Computer Science at purdue for 2 years before I realized I hated it. Now I'm a cook for purdue. Haha alot less money but hopefully someday i'll have a brewpub to call my own. PM me sometime if you want to swap some brews.

I'm actually at the statewide tech school, in Kokomo! West laffayette doesn't have the ET degree yet, its a statewide only thing, its a combination of mechanical, electrical, computer, OLS, and IT. Its new so ill be in the first few class years to have it! Kinda cool

Wholesale automotive and marine broker,and freelance tattoo artist with a business management degree. Desperately pursuing a degree in brewing science since I was in junior high. The only reason I went to college was to further my chances of getting in to the brewing science program. I've been in the A&M brokers world since birth spanning 4 generations( my great grandpa x2 was ship manufacturer.)but love brewing and want to learn everything there is to know about it. So I can brew all that I can brew!:)

Wow!
I'm an Orthopedic Technician. I work for a bunch of Orthopedic Surgeons and (mostly) cast up broken bones.

mountainman13 said:
I dropped out of college 3 times and joined the Army. After 7 years I have a Masters in BS and have somehow scored a wife with a real Masters degree to support my broke ass and all my hobbies.

The Misfits skull makes up for all of that. Punx not dead;-)
If you treat them right they don't care what you do& if you make them happy no matter what your hobby is they support it just to see you happy. So don't be so down on your self obviously your doing something right. Just keep her happy & she'll do the same,that's what it's all about.

HolidayIF1488 said:
Desperately pursuing a degree in brewing science since I was in junior high. The only reason I went to college was to further my chances of getting in to the brewing science program.

IMO I believe brewing is more "apprentice" learned work than a degree, I think it is best taught by brewing and not by book, good beer has been made for hundreds of years, and UCLA has only had a Brewing Science degree for a few years. Not to shoot u down AT ALL but I think there are plenty of books you can get cheap to learn the science and not spend $10K's. On a degree that can be self taught. Even the most successful craft brewers don't have Brewing Science degrees. If you want to open a brewery I would home brew a lot and get a degree in business/economics.

KuntzBrewing said:
IMO I believe brewing is more "apprentice" learned work than a degree, I think it is best taught by brewing and not by book, good beer has been made for hundreds of years, and UCLA has only had a Brewing Science degree for a few years. Not to shoot u down AT ALL but I think there are plenty of books you can get cheap to learn the science and not spend $10K's. On a degree that can be self taught. Even the most successful craft brewers don't have Brewing Science degrees. If you want to open a brewery I would home brew a lot and get a degree in business/economics.

I do agree. There are only two of those programs available so my reasoning was personal knowledge not just of brewing but all of the science behind It also. I've been learning to brew all of my life as a family tradition. The reason of going was not just the degree but the privlage and experience of doing not only something I love but that very few have done, learning from the true guru's of beer. I make very good money doing what I do, and don't need a degree for it but have one in business management. I don't want to open a brewery as a profiting business it is my passion. If that explains what I was trying to say.(I guess if you did open a brewery and didn't profit it would show that no one wants to drink your beer,and all I want to do is create great beers that taste good. If no ones drinking it must not be good:) )

I understand your point of view completetly, Brewing is a science and a history, and an art all combined in one. I love beer, I love brewing, I love drinking my own beer, I love making good beer, and I love money. Once I finish my Engineering Technology degree from purdue, I'm really wanting to go to an IU campus in my city and get another degree in Business, with a minor in econ, I want to move to the Indianapolis area and open a brewery/brewpub/restaurant. I'm trying to brew as much as I can with the money I have (being a full time 15+ credit hour student at a Big Ten University) and in my down time I drink the most variety of beer I can get in a BMC drinking town lol

KuntzBrewing said:
I understand your point of view completetly, Brewing is a science and a history, and an art all combined in one. I love beer, I love brewing, I love drinking my own beer, I love making good beer, and I love money. Once I finish my Engineering Technology degree from purdue, I'm really wanting to go to an IU campus in my city and get another degree in Business, with a minor in econ, I want to move to the Indianapolis area and open a brewery/brewpub/restaurant. I'm trying to brew as much as I can with the money I have (being a full time 15+ credit hour student at a Big Ten University) and in my down time I drink the most variety of beer I can get in a BMC drinking town lol

Sky is the limit my fermenting friend. My mother is actually in planning stages of just that( restaurant/brewery/pub in Denver. Our family has been brewing forever and she wanted to make a business to pass on to her grand children that doesn't have to do with cars&boats that people don buy in a piss poor economy. Like you we all love beer,and if your passionate about something you can make it happen! Good luck to you my friend!

The reason of going was not just the degree but the privlage and experience of doing not only something I love but that very few have done, learning from the true guru's of beer.

Are the "true gurus" of beer really teaching in these programs? I guess my reasoning is that if they are "true gurus" they are opening and running breweries, not teaching classes.

This goes along with the adage: "If you can't do, teach".

Electrical Engineer. Well Electrical Engineering graduate student. BS in Electrical Engineering and 4 classes away from a MS in Electrical Engineering.

Latest posts

Back