Uncomplicated Mead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewOFin

Reaction score
I am sharing my first experiment with Mead, which was a simple and successful recipe of my own design. (Although it is so simple "design" seems to be too generous of a word).

Experienced mazers will be able to tell that this was the experiment of someone transitioning from beer brewing. In hindsight, the heating and subsequent chilling was unnecessary.

Method:
Heat 1 gal of water to 160f and add 24 oz of honey that was purchased from a farmer's market.

Mixed for about 20 minutes and then chilled. Put into primary with yeast. Racked to secondary after 2 weeks. Could read through the carboy after another week or two. Altogether it was in the secondary for 8 weeks.

I intentionally used less honey than most recipes called for and a yeast that would not require any additional nutrients or energizer.

bump

How soon was this drinkable? You said 2 weeks in primary and 8 weeks in secondary, so was it drinkable out of the secondary, or is more aging needed in bottle? Thanks for sharing this simple recipe. I've been looking for one. Plus, my wife loves Riesling so she would probably like this.

Honey was from the farmer's market.

If I remember it was drinkable at bottling. If I were trying to impress someone, or convince my spouse that this was an endeavour worth repeating... I'd use more honey.

Honey was from the farmer's market.

If I remember it was drinkable at bottling. If I were trying to impress someone, or convince my spouse that this was an endeavour worth repeating... I'd use more honey.

Did they say if it was Wild Flower, Orange Blossom, Clover, Buckwheat or any other flower?

Hello I’m new to the forum iso simple mead recipe for 33 lbs of raw honey. Any help is appreciated thanks.

Hello I’m new to the forum iso simple mead recipe for 33 lbs of raw honey. Any help is appreciated thanks.

Honey, water, nutrient, yeast, and patience.

I'm enjoying a mead that was made in March of 2018. It was 9lbs of wild honey "Snowberry" from the Washington state Cascades, 1lb of generic wildflower honey, and 5lbs of Costco Clover honey. It was combined with enough water for 5 gallons and a SG of 1.100. Yeast was CBC-1.

Yeast nutrients consisted of boiled bakers yeast added at different sugar breaks. I can't remember the schedule but the information is on this site if you search.

It tasted hot for quite awhile. I bottled in September of 2018 and it was still hot tasting. This spring the flavor really started to mellow. Now it's been 17 months and the flavor is fantastic. It's dry but maintains the honey and wild flower flavors. It's really something special. I think that using CBC-1 as the yeast helped to not overpower the honey flavors while still producing a mostly dry mead. It finished at 14.5% abv.

Back