1469! Who is excited!?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hadabar

Reaction score
I love this yeast....I was wondering who was anticipating this as much as me? What brews did you have in store?

Can't wait for my Esb...

My ESB is blowing off right now. This is a fairly vivacious top cropper so give it lots of headroom, or be OK with cleaning up a sticky floor like I just did.

Picked up 2 smack packs from my LHBS today. Haven't decided what I'm brewing with them yet but my wife asked me to brew a chocolate milk stout and I may use one for that.

At my LHBS, the guy had brewed a 10-gallon ESB, and did half with 1968 and the other with 1469. I definitely preferred the 1469, but I'm concerned about having heard that it doesn't bottle well - more suited to kegging which I don't do.

heh.. saw that at my LHBS today and thought about what I could make with it.

Does it leave a lot of malty goodness behind? I was thinking of doing either an ESB or a brown ale with it (provided I can get Maris Otter for the base malt) :)

Looks very promising

1469 rules, I used it in my ESB for about 4 batches until my fridge died spoiling my stored culture. I am using Thames 2 right now, but it just isn't the same. I think it is road trip time.

Does it leave a lot of malty goodness behind? I was thinking of doing either an ESB or a brown ale with it (provided I can get Maris Otter for the base malt)

Tons of malty goodness, I have brewed ESB with West Yorkshire, London ESB, British Ale 2, Thames, and Thames 2; and my favorite has been by far West Yorkshire (1469).

I'll pick up a smack pack or two for sure. It's not fat, buttery or estery like some other english yeasts (1968, 1187), but it is balanced, malty and it leaves the hops shine. A good english malt base, a touch of crystal and sugar and a crapload of late hops will produce a good bitter with this yeast.

I like it, altough some do find it bland.

I've had good luck with starting the ferment at 66F, ramping up to 69F over 72hrs and then cold crashing once it cleans up after itself a bit. Time to break out the Timothy Taylor's Landlord clone recipe again.

I love this yeast. I have a starter ready to go today for a northern English brown. First time using this yeast with this style. English IPA is my favorite style with this yeast.

-Josh

heh.. saw that at my LHBS today and thought about what I could make with it.

Does it leave a lot of malty goodness behind? I was thinking of doing either an ESB or a brown ale with it (provided I can get Maris Otter for the base malt) :)

Looks very promising

Malty goodness for days! to me , I get like a minerally quality, in the best way possible, hard to describe, to very complex. I was blown away by my first sip! I used MO and some simpsons medium, with crystal hops. simple recipie, LOTS of flavor! I did this again, with 1272, and split the base malt and half with 2 row and mo for a pale ale...good beer, but 1469 is where it all happens! I'm a white labs guy, but I can't find anything close to this strain.

Anyone know the white labs strain, if they have it?

Malty goodness for days! to me , I get like a minerally quality, in the best way possible, hard to describe, to very complex. I was blown away by my first sip! I used MO and some simpsons medium, with crystal hops. simple recipie, LOTS of flavor! I did this again, with 1272, and split the base malt and half with 2 row and mo for a pale ale...good beer, but 1469 is where it all happens! I'm a white labs guy, but I can't find anything close to this strain.

Anyone know the white labs strain, if they have it?

They don't have it specifically, the Samuel Smith's strain is very nice. You do have to massage it a bit more, the consensus seemed to be to conduct fermentation in the low 60's, give it a bit of a diacetyl rest and then crash it.
http://www.whitelabs.com/beer/strains_wlp037.html

I like this yeast, though it can drop a lot of fruity esters if you let it get too warm. I agree about fermenting somewhere in the range of 62-66F. Also, I have had problems getting this yeast to completely flocculate. Some times it drops brilliantly clear, other times its cloudy as hell.

I've also used it to make some very nice English common ciders.

I have two brews down with this yeast, and so far it's awesome - at least the hydrometer taste tests! One is a pale ale in the bottle conditioning and the other is a Timothy Taylor Landlord clone fermenting away.

I'm trying double-dropping on both brews with this yeast. And top-cropping instead of yeast washing. This yeast is great for top cropping! Easier than yeast washing and you get a ton of yeast to save.

I couldn't get Simpson's Extra Dark Crystal at the LHBS for the TTL clone. It calls for 12 ounces. They won't carry it because most of their customers tried it and don't like it. So, I subbed 6 ounces of chocolate malt. Not really the same, but that small amount in a 5 gallon batch would be mostly for color anyway. I'm going to try the TTL clone again in two weeks, but this time, I'm ordering some of that Extra Dark Crystal from an online brew store. I'm very curious about this grain - I hear it has some burnt sugar flavors. Can't wait to see how that melds with this yeast profile.

I couldn't get Simpson's Extra Dark Crystal at the LHBS for the TTL clone. It calls for 12 ounces. They won't carry it because most of their customers tried it and don't like it. So, I subbed 6 ounces of chocolate malt. Not really the same, but that small amount in a 5 gallon batch would be mostly for color anyway. I'm going to try the TTL clone again in two weeks, but this time, I'm ordering some of that Extra Dark Crystal from an online brew store. I'm very curious about this grain - I hear it has some burnt sugar flavors. Can't wait to see how that melds with this yeast profile.

I know Timothy Talyor uses all Golden Promise and caramel coloring in Landlord. I forgot who mentioned using the 160L extra dark crystal as a sub for the caramel/sinamar but I would think it would work well, though 3/4lb seems like a lot. I've used the Simpsons 160L quite a bit and while it does give nice burnt sugar type of flavor, a little goes a long way. Good luck.

rockfish42 said:
They don't have it specifically, the Samuel Smith's strain is very nice. You do have to massage it a bit more, the consensus seemed to be to conduct fermentation in the low 60's, give it a bit of a diacetyl rest and then crash it.
http://www.whitelabs.com/beer/strains_wlp037.html

Yes I've used this....had a good overall experience...however it through alot of cloves for me, I fermented around 66....this aged out after a bit and left a distinct nutty flavor to my brown ale. I took awhile to mellow, it also is hell of good bottle conditioner I noticed, beer was slightly over carbed, that could of been user error as well. Good yeast, but I dont know if ill use it again.

I know Timothy Talyor uses all Golden Promise and caramel coloring in Landlord. I forgot who mentioned using the 160L extra dark crystal as a sub for the caramel/sinamar but I would think it would work well, though 3/4lb seems like a lot. I've used the Simpsons 160L quite a bit and while it does give nice burnt sugar type of flavor, a little goes a long way. Good luck.

Yeah, the 5 gallon recipe I found is calling for 6 pounds of golden promise and .75 pounds of simpsons extra dark crystal. It does seem like a lot of the dark crystal. Can't remember where I found the clone recipe.

Yeah, the 5 gallon recipe I found is calling for 6 pounds of golden promise and .75 pounds of simpsons extra dark crystal. It does seem like a lot of the dark crystal. Can't remember where I found the clone recipe.

Northern Brewer has a kit that's a supposed clone from Kristen England
http://www.northernbrewer.com/documentation/allgrain/AG-Innkeeper.pdf
I did it the last time this yeast was around and it was fairly accurate, it only uses .25 of the extra dark crystal from Simpson's.

Northern Brewer has a kit that's a supposed clone from Kristen England
http://www.northernbrewer.com/documentation/allgrain/AG-Innkeeper.pdf
I did it the last time this yeast was around and it was fairly accurate, it only uses .25 of the extra dark crystal from Simpson's.

YES - that is where I got the recipe. I must have wrote down .75 instead of .25 for the crystal. Geez. I think I relaxed and one too many homebrews the day I took those notes. Thanks for pointing this out.

Someone's not going to be happy with this thread title!

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f45/i-must-only-one-279175/

I love Wyeast 1469-PC West Yorkshire Ale Yeast AVAILABLE OCTOBER THROUGH DECEMBER 2011! This strain produces ales with a full chewy malt flavor and character, but finishes dry, producing famously balanced beers. Expect moderate nutty and stone-fruit esters. Best used for the production of cask-conditioned bitters, ESB and mild ales. Reliably flocculent, producing bright beer without filtration!

Shooter said:
Someone's not going to be happy with this thread title!

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f45/i-must-only-one-279175/

...ohhhhh well, if you like some thing you dont forget it. I thought the same way when first joining the forum. If your doing something you really enjoy, and do it often, you know this stuff if you want to or not.thats atleast how it is for me. Plus this yeast has quite the long name.

Just an update. I pitched on 10-31 into my (1.059) ESB and just today the 5 inch krausen has subsided. I thought I was good yesterday and put a s-type airlock on instead of my blowoff tube only to find my air lock all gunky again today.

I'm fermenting at 62 F and this yeast is a top cropping monster. It has a huge frothy head. Next time I'm putting into a 7.5 gallon bucket for primary instead of a carboy for sure.

Picked up some of this yesterday for this weekend's ESB. The LHBS was out of 1968, but he gave me this instead. Said he hadn't brewed with it before (and neither have I) so hoping for the best. Looks like I'll be fermenting at 65 and hoping it flocs ok :mug:

Okay, last night I tried a bottle of my first brew with this yeast, and it's fantastic! Wife says this is the best one I have ever brewed out of the 15 brews I have done over the past year. As a new brewer, I'm very proud! And, now I have a complete love of this yeast. This recipe is going into regular rotation, in fact I will brew it again this weekend.

Recipe below is using BIAB, thus the large amount of strike water.

Recipe: Brew 17 - Frailn's Pale Ale
Brewer: frailn
Asst Brewer: otto the mini dachshund
Style: American Pale Ale
TYPE: All Grain

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.50 gal
Boil Size: 6.50 gal
Estimated OG: 1.060 SG
Estimated Color: 9.1 SRM
Estimated IBU: 32.2 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 88.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
7.50 lb Golden Promise (Simpsons) (2.0 SRM) Grain 75.00 %
1.75 lb Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 17.50 %
0.25 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 2.50 %
0.25 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 2.50 %
0.25 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt -120L (120.0 SRM) Grain 2.50 %
0.55 oz Nugget [12.20 %] (60 min) Hops 20.9 IBU
0.25 oz Amarillo Gold [9.30 %] (60 min) Hops 7.2 IBU
0.25 oz Cascade [6.40 %] (20 min) Hops 3.0 IBU
0.25 oz Cascade [6.40 %] (5 min) Hops 1.0 IBU
2 Pkgs West Yorkshire Ale (Wyeast #1469-PC) Yeast-Ale

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Medium Body, No Mash Out
Total Grain Weight: 10.00 lb
----------------------------
Single Infusion, Medium Body, No Mash Out
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
60 min Mash In Add 22.00 qt of water at 160.8 F 154.0 F

Notes:
------
Day 1 - Pitch Yeast

Day 2 - 16 hours later, double drop into ale pale fermenting bucket. After double drop, moved fermenter to swamp cooler into 62 degree water. Establish fermenting temp in mid-sixties.

Day 3 - Top Crop yeast.

Day 8 - Check for Final Gravity. Fermentation complete. Transfer to carboy from bucket.

Day 11 - Cold crash

Day 15 - Bottle with corn sugar

Day 25 - After 10 days in the bottle, tasted awesome. Ready to drink. No green flavors at all.

I did a 4-way split batch with 1469, 1026, 1968, and 1318. I liked the 1968 best, followed VERY closely by 1318 with 1469 a very distant 3rd and 1026 way in last. I've gotten a tartness out of the 1469 that I don't find in any of the other British yeasts I've used.

You can see the recipe I used and tasting comments in the recipe I documented as part of a HBT-organized all British pale ale beer competition:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f64/4-way-esb-2011-british-bitter-brew-off-winner-runner-up-257082/

There is also this extensive thread if you feel like blowing 8 hours reading up on the topic of British bitter/ESB fermentation and yeast:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f163/b...on-temps-profiles-cybi-other-thoughts-221817/

I pitched 1 pack of the 1469 about 18 hours ago into 5.5 ga. of nut brown ale. Tucked it into my brew closet which is keeping it at around 68F (temp should drop a bit tonight when it gets cold outside again). Will probably settle in at around 64-66F (hopefully).

So far it's slow and steady, krausen is growing but not "huge" yet. I am checking it regularly so I can swap the airlock for a blowoff tube.

It smells amazing in there!! Smells just like a malted milkshake. Having worked primarily with Belgian yeasts, I have to say that this yeast tosses no sulfur or funk whatsoever - I cannot wait to taste this beer, it should be fantastic!

Got my first batch going with this yeast now... Looking forward to kegging the batch (an English amber ale) in 3-4 weeks and then enjoying it fully.

My ESB's been in primary about a week. Been keeping at 67F. Had really active fermentation after about 6 hours, continued actively for 3 days, and slowly bubbling since. 5.5 gallons in a 6.7 gal bucket, and didn't need a blowoff. Never took a peak to see how much krausen is in there though.

brewing an ESB this weekend with it. i've used it before, beer didn't really turn out, but I think it was unrelated to the yeast....hopefully.

I'll be brewing a brown ale with this yeast in a few days. Aiming for something like Riggwelter, but a bit darker.

Also, around this time last year I made a cider with 1469 and it turned out fantastic. Best cider I've ever made. I really need to make another batch of it.

I did a 4-way split batch with 1469, 1026, 1968, and 1318. I liked the 1968 best, followed VERY closely by 1318 with 1469 a very distant 3rd and 1026 way in last. I've gotten a tartness out of the 1469 that I don't find in any of the other British yeasts I've used.

You can see the recipe I used and tasting comments in the recipe I documented as part of a HBT-organized all British pale ale beer competition:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f64/4-way-esb-2011-british-bitter-brew-off-winner-runner-up-257082/

There is also this extensive thread if you feel like blowing 8 hours reading up on the topic of British bitter/ESB fermentation and yeast:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f163/b...on-temps-profiles-cybi-other-thoughts-221817/
YEAH!!! BUDDY GUY!!!..."Damn right i got the brews" thats classic

Bump. Just used this yeast for the first time. I think I'm in love.

I'm too lazy to wash trub correctly (who wants another step on bottling day?), so easy top cropping is a godsend. Harvested 1-2 cups of fluffy, white foamy sticky kruasen into sanitized mason jar. Easy.

And the flavor is incredible, never tasted anything quite like it.

Back