Raspberry melomel/bochet, good idea?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GurraG

Reaction score
Reading about bochet (mead with caramelized honey) got me interested. Ii would seem to me as if the toffee/marshmallow taste that could be the result of the caramelized honey would complement a sweet-ish raspberry melomel nicely. Any thoughts?

That technique sounds awesome, I'm probably going to have to do something like that now.

I suppose it depends on how much fruit you use, raspberries are pretty potent in flavor, that might overwhelm the caramelized honey flavors.

I don't realy know. I was thinking about using this recipe as a starting point, but with raspberries instead of blueberries, wine yeast instead of bread yeast, and obvioulsy caramerlized honey:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f80/bens-ancient-blueberry-mead-shameless-ripoff-208357/
I'm thinking half a kilo of raspberries (more or less one lb) and about two kilos of honey (around four and half lbs) and five litres of water (about 1.3 gallons). Would that work? I want a relatively strong raspberry flavour, but also a clear honey character.

blueberries are a lot more delicate in flavor than raspberries though it also depends on the type of raspberries and the individual berries themselves.

I think I would use half as much raspberries as you're proposing then at the end of fermentation give it a taste. You can always mash up more berries and add them if you think it needs more.

Are you going to caramelize all of the honey or just a portion?

Are you going to caramelize all of the honey or just a portion?

Not quite sure. My first thought was to caramelize half of it, but when you mention that the raspberries might overpower the honey flavour I'm thinking that maybe I should caramelize the whole lot. As I wrote, I want the caramel character to come through clearly.

I've done a Bochet about a year ago and it turned out quite good (no fruit additions).
I didn't blacken the honey like some, I carmelized it till it was dark brown and had a strong carmel character. The carmel tast came through strong. Just be carful to watch the batch while carmelizing. I nearly had a boil over a few times.

Back