Hops inside the brats

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redde2brew

Reaction score
I recently found an brat recipe that had as an ingredient your choice of hops. Well I was all over this, my favorite hop for aroma and flavor is hallertauer. With it being low in IBUs I figured it was a good choice for my first try at this recipe. So Friday night before the Superbowl we had our pre-party that include making the sausage. So, after a few taste test, we made 15 pounds. I was hoping to save 5pd for freezing, needless to say that didn't happen. Sunday by half time no brats in the house. My house beer is a Northern German Alt which is dry hopped with you guess it hallertauer it went well also.

My verison of Beer magizine's recipe Jan/Feb 2011 issue #17

This is for a 5 pound batch:

5-6 pd Pork Shoulder
1.25 tsp garlic power
7 tsp kosher salt
1.5 Tbs ground dry sage
1.5 tsp dried thyme
1.5 Tbs black pepper
3 tsp smoked paprika
1.5 tsp chinese five spice (if you can't find don't sweat it)
1.5 Tbs Hallertuater hops pellets ground(this could be the tricky part using other hops you
you may need less or more cause of the IBUs)
1 cup of beer

Grind meat, mix all the other ingrediants together, and add to meat mix well, cool and stuff. Remember gas is something you pass, cook with charcoal.

I bet this would be great. Did you use whole hops or pellets? And did you grind the hops up at all?

I used pellets, ground in a spice grinder. You could use a coffee grinder or any other way to get them fine. If you saw the magazine version you will notice I kicked the spices up. Our test of their recipe was a little bland but they called for fresh herbs, it may have been my conversion to dry herbs. My other tip on making brats is mix all dry ingredients with wet then add to meat and mix well.

Too me that sounds like it would be pretty nasty, but I sure as hell would be willing to try one if someone else made it.

Too me that sounds like it would be pretty nasty, but I sure as hell would be willing to try one if someone else made it.

Well, after about emailing several request for the recipe from party guest I thought I'd post on here. Maybe you can find someone to make you one. :ban:

They were really that popular? hmmmm, maybe I should make a pound or two next time I make some sausage. The few times I have tried to use hops or hoppy beers in cooking they were horrible.

I might have to try this. Last weekend I had a hopped up brat at Euclid Hall in Denver that was fantastic. It tasted kind of like an italian sausage, but with leaf hops in place of whatever herbs are normally used.

I might have to try this. Last weekend I had a hopped up brat at Euclid Hall in Denver that was fantastic. It tasted kind of like an italian sausage, but with leaf hops in place of whatever herbs are normally used.

It had an coriander and basil flavor simiar to sweet Italian sausage

Latest posts

Back