NB Dawson's Kriek Extract Kit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JByer323

Reaction score
I brewed the NB kit in late April using Wyeast 3178, and racked it over to secondary and added the cherry puree about six weeks later. It's currently still chilling in secondary.

After reading this forum more and more, I realize now I know absolutely nothing to speak of about sour beers.My ultimate goal here is to get a sour cherry ale, that ferments dry.

When would you guys be looking to bottle? Was it a mistake to move it to secondary; should I have just added the cherries to primary? If I'm bottling, will I need to repitch yeast to get it to carb? Regular or Belgium bottles?

Like I said, I'm new to this. Any other tips would be appreciated, as well as direction towards a good sour/lambics book.

It will get really good at about the 2 year mark, it would be better to leave it in the carboy if you have room. The brett and lacto will put off CO2 and that could cause overpressure in the bottles.

The best sour/lambic book in print is Wild Brews, by Jeff Sparrow.
Another good one, although no longer in print (and hard to find for a decent price), is Lambic, by Jean-Xavier Guinard.

I made this kit over a year ago. Great beer if you have the patience. Pretty good beer after two months.

I'd recommend fermenting in the mid-60's. This is because fermentation generates heat so the beer will get to maybe 70F when its really working. I don't think you want to ferment at 70+, this beer gets it fruitness from the cherry puree and has plenty of flaovr going on without a hot ferment.

When would you guys be looking to bottle?

The gravity will continue to drop to almost zero, but never quite zero.

Was it a mistake to move it to secondary; should I have just added the cherries to primary?

No problem moving to secondary the brett would have been in suspension and will continue to eat.

If I'm bottling, will I need to repitch yeast to get it to carb? Regular or Belgium bottles?

You can bottle in 12 oz long necks if the gravity is low enough. The Belgian bottles are stronger and traditional.

Wild Brews is a great book.

Back