Hibernator Winter Ale - feedback requested!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcavers

Reaction score
Hey homebrewers -

My first post on here! Glad to be a part of such a great brewing community. Anyhow, I'm about to brew my first winter warmer, after years of brewing mostly session ales (with the occasional IPA thrown in). I want it to be rich, sweet, with brown sugar and spice predominating and just a bit of dark chocolate underneath. Here's the recipe I'm going to use - any feedback? Suggestions?

Hibernator Winter Ale
should be 1.060 - 20 litres (5.28 gallons)
about 30 IBU
mash efficiency 80%
__
9 lbs. pale ale malt
12 oz. crystal 120L
8 oz. Gambrinus honey malt
8 oz. demerara sugar
4 oz. black patent
1 oz. Northern Brewer (9.9%, 60 min.)
4 oz. grated ginger (10 min.)
1/2 cup dark rum, infused with zest of two oranges, 1/2 tsp. crushed allspice, 1 crushed clove, 2 cinnamon sticks (secondary)
Wyeast 1178 (Ringwood Ale)

Let me know what you think! Thanks!

It should have a bit of molasses flavour - but I'm adding the sugar just to keep the finishing gravity down.

I think you should have to call it hibernater, there's only so many good names that end in -ator for our dopplebocks, and you are using a real good one on an ale. blasphemy!

Haha - it is a doppelbock name, that's for sure. But I claim it nonetheless!

I'm going to mash at 154, yes, but more out of habit than specific intention. I've only recently got the knack for nailing 154 degrees without any extra strike water to heat or cool, and aiming for other temperatures seems beyond my abilities at the present time! That said, I don't want the wort to be too fermentable - this should be a fairly rich brew.

Back