minimum burner for 10g batches?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bkov

Reaction score
my old turkey frier barely gets the job done for 6g batches in the winter, and im looking to do 10g batches soon. whats the minimum burner and wheres the cheapest place to get it? my turkey frier regulator says 15 psi but i dont know, i got years ago for thanksgiving

I got mine at home depot. its called a bayou burner sq-14 I think. It was around thirty bucks on sale. Works fine as long as I'm in the garage or basement. I can use it outside if it's not windy. I'd probably get something a little hotter if I was to do it again though.

I am using an OLD King Cooker turkey fryer that resembles this one here, but I couldn't tell you what my regulator psi rating is... I am using a keggle as well in case that helps you...

Your turkey fryer will probably work... Only one way to find out!

Good luck! :mug:

The burner isn't usually as much the problem as the regulator. My old turkey fryer had an adjustable 10psi regulator on it that would just barely maintain 7 gallons at a boil. I bought a 20psi regulator for it from Bayou Classics and it'll now bring the same amount of wort to a raging boil in under 10 minutes. It's insane! If I read right (and odds of that happening are pretty low), with a regular turkey fryer style burner, a 10psi regulator will run something like 55k BTU. The 20psi one is supposed to be closer to 185k. I may be off some on the numbers, but I know it screams now compared to before.

The burner isn't usually as much the problem as the regulator. My old turkey fryer had an adjustable 10psi regulator on it that would just barely maintain 7 gallons at a boil. I bought a 20psi regulator for it from Bayou Classics and it'll now bring the same amount of wort to a raging boil in under 10 minutes. It's insane! If I read right (and odds of that happening are pretty low), with a regular turkey fryer style burner, a 10psi regulator will run something like 55k BTU. The 20psi one is supposed to be closer to 185k. I may be off some on the numbers, but I know it screams now compared to before.

I have an adjustable 10 psi on my Bayou Classic and it too screams at full throttle. I'm gonna guess that something is wrong with the one you have. I can easily boil 14 gallons with it and it will maintain a good boil at only about 1/3rd open. I don't think mine could be improved with a higher pressure regulator.

I can bring 13.5G to a boil in -25C (-13F) with my cheap turkey fryer with a 10 psi regulator. I start heating as soon as my first batch sparge is in the boil pot.

I have an adjustable 10 psi on my Bayou Classic and it too screams at full throttle. I'm gonna guess that something is wrong with the one you have. I can easily boil 14 gallons with it and it will maintain a good boil at only about 1/3rd open. I don't think mine could be improved with a higher pressure regulator.

That's entirely possible. I still don't regret getting the new regulator because it'll supply the new brewstand I built.

My point really is that it's not the burner style that matters so much as how much gas is coming out of it. The standard turkey fryer burner that you can pick up by it self for about $10 is just as capable of bringing 10+ gallons to a boil as a $40 banjo burner. Granted, the banjo spreads the flame out more so it's not as concentrated in a single spot, but the other style will still work just fine.

Back